Morning Hacks: Little Tips and Tricks to Start Your Day

College women are not known for their particular likeness of mornings. It is almost guaranteed the time between 7 and 10 AM is exceptionally groggy for most of us, and we can probably be found drudging along in our leggings with Starbucks in hand. So what is it about the early hours that make it so difficult for us to get moving and to start our day? There might not be an answer to that question, but there are always ways to fix it.

Morning hack #1: Preset the Coffee Pot

Most coffee pots these days (even the cheapest ones) have this nifty preset setting for brewing. Once you set your phone alarm—or four—go set the preset time on your coffee pot, fill the pot up with water, put the coffee in the filter, or get the K-cup snapped into place, and you will knock 5 minutes off your morning routine. You know those eyebrows you have been meaning to touch up for a week now but you always seem to run out of time in the morning? Now you have the time. You’re welcome.

Morning hack #2: Set Out Your Outfit Ready to Go (Sort of)

Sometimes it can be a challenge for us as we stand in front of our wardrobes in the early hours to really decide who we want to be today, because isn’t that what we do day after day? Well, why not knock it out of the way the night before? Picking out an outfit can be the most frustrating thing in the day, especially first thing in the morning. Even better, put two or three renditions out, maybe a few different scarves, a pair of ballet flats and boots, or a one or two different bags. That way, the pressure is gone in the morning of having to pick out your identity from the whole wardrobe, and you have a few options to pick from and a lot more free time on your hands.

Morning hack #3: Customized Alarm Message

Did you know that the iPhone allows you to change the labels on your alarm? Surprise! You don’t have to read that annoying word one more time at dawn. Instead, set your alarm to an uplifting phrase such as “Good morning, you are going to have an amazing day!” If positivity is not really your thing, try using something with a little more oomph to it, such as “Get your butt out of bed girl, you’re going to miss English,” or even “If you’re aren’t up in 5 you won’t have time for Starbz… so get to moving!” Honestly, that last one works every time. You have 70 characters provided by apple, so take advantage of them!

Hannah is a southern girl from the sunshine state who keeps J.Crew and Ralph Lauren in business with her shopping habits, and likes to spend her summers strolling through Central Park. She's an Editing, Writing, and Media Major with a minor in International Affairs. When she's not writing and editing for Her Campus, she is working at other publications on campus and holding a position in her sorority, Delta Delta Delta. She binge watches One Tree Hill and Gossip Girl like it is her job, and considers peanut butter a food group. Hannah is going to change the world someday, she just doesn't know how yet. Follow her on twitter @hannahbeery for some tweets you won't be able to get enough of. 
Her Campus at Florida State University.