Morgan Beard: Solving Life’s Problems One Sign at a Time

Name: Morgan Beard

Year: Junior

Major: Communication Sciences and Disorders

Hometown: Boca Raton, FL

Relationship Status: Single 

Courtesy: Morgan Beard

Her Campus (HC): What is your FSU involvement?

Morgan Beard (MB): I am involved in multiple clubs around campus. I have been a part of the Pre-vet club, NSSHLA, Environmental club and the Seminole Ladies Ultimate Team. I have gotten to join some honor societies. My main focus that I am involved in now is FSU’s Speech and Hearing Clinic.  

HC: What has been your most memorable experience at FSU?

MB: I don’t know if I could pinpoint it, but having been at a university to win the National Championship in both football and soccer is pretty outstanding, and the day we won the football championship the energy around campus for the following weeks was definitely something not everyone could say they’ve experienced.

HC: Why did you choose FSU?

MB: I chose FSU because when I came up and visited my senior year of high school, I fell in love with the campus and its design. FSU also has a very strong arts department, with most of the theatre students moving onto Broadway after graduation and one of the best film schools in the country! This school’s limits are endless. I wanted to surround myself with the most diversity I could achieve, with the opportunity to obtain an amazing education while it being affordable at the same time, and FSU gave me this chance.

HC: How did you pick your major?

MB: I’ve always loved sign language and hearing, and I’ve always wanted to help other people out and work in a positive environment, while also challenging myself constantly. I’ve loved the medical field, but didn’t want to be a doctor after shadowing two different ones. I also have always wanted to be able to have a flexible career and work choices. Communication Sciences and Disorders seemed to fit perfectly for me because the opportunities are endless. You are constantly surrounded by positive individuals, it constantly challenges you and opens new perspectives and it’s a medical field. The way my major sets you up is that you are constantly growing and never settling, encouraging different paths and different approaches.

HC: How did you get involved with research, and what do you like about being involved with it?

MB: I went to my professors and asked what their research was on and if I could get involved with it. After interviewing with them, explaining my reasoning for why I want to work with them and how it would benefit both me and them, I got the job. I like watching each different subject participate and how it affects the data, and I enjoy learning from my superiors about all the detail that goes into each study and the reasons why we do each them.

HC: Where do you see yourself in 10 years?

MB: Living somewhere else, with different perspectives on the world and sharing my knowledge and perspective. I hope to keep growing and learning everyday. I see myself having a masters or a PhD, and working to help the world, animals and people around me with my own ideas and plans to execute them. Lastly, I hope to have found someone that I want to experience life with.

Courtesy: Morgan Beard

HC: Is there anything you want to be more involved with at FSU?

MB: Yes! Things like theatre, the circus, The Golden Girls, The Marching Chiefs, being a tour guide or being an Orientation Leader. Even being an RA would be an experience I might want to try.

HC: What do you like to do on the weekends?

MB: On the weekends, I like to relax, socialize with friends, catch up on some personal projects, and mostly be outdoors. I admire going kayaking, diving, hiking, playing sports, rock climbing, amongst others. I go hiking almost every weekend. Fall semester, I do dedicate Saturdays to my ‘Noles and tailgating!

HC: Do you have a favorite hiking spot?

MB: I wouldn’t say I have a favorite because I always love exploring new places. But I could tell you a few places that I really enjoyed. I would go to Lake Talquin, Lafayette Heritage trail park, Torreya State Park, the Florida Caverns, Garden of Eden trail, Providence Canyons, St. George, Wakulla, Blue Springs, Leon Sinks, Miccosukee, Mission San Luis, Silver Springs, even Gainesville’s got some pretty cool hidden trails! Anything with the word trail, park or springs at the end of it, I’m there.

HC: What are three words your friends would use to describe you?

MB: Independent, honest, friendly.

HC: How would you describe your ideal guy?

MB: Honest, caring, genuine to his beliefs, and motivated to succeed at anything he puts his mind to. He would appreciate the arts, understand women and love to do outdoorsy things. He would think his mental and physical health is important. He would be independent, but dependable. Someone who has a complex mind, is confident in his own skin, and family oriented. He’s not afraid to dance and let loose. Someone who has their own opinions and interests, but is willing to hear and understand others perspectives even challenging their own beliefs. Someone who wants to travel and has an open mind with everything they are given.

HC: What is a way for a guy to win you over?

MB: Honesty and gestures go a long way. Actions speak louder than words. Showing you actually want me in your life, in ways that words can’t. Spending time with my family, and enjoying their spunk. They are the most important to me and you’ve got to love them like I do, as they only love and are looking out for me in return.

HC: Describe your ideal date.

MB: Taking me somewhere I’ve never been that they’ve been to before and they really enjoy going to. Sharing a place that makes you feel great with someone is a great way to get to know someone.

Courtesy: Morgan Beard

HC: Have you been on a date in Tallahassee you found memorable?

MB: I would say every date that I’ve been on in ‘Tally has been memorable, for each of their own reasons.

HC: What color hair do you prefer on a guy?

MB: Ginger.

HC: What’s a place you want to travel to before you die?

MB: Out of all the places in the world that I want to experience, I have a desire to go to the African grasslands the most. I believe I would grow the most from experiencing life through the roughest terrains without the pleasures of technology and first world luxuries. I want to learn from the people that live life without the safeties I have never lived without. I have a deep passion for animals, and I have much respect for the ecosystem that is part of the grasslands.

HC: If you didn’t choose that as your major what would have been your second option?

MB: Marine Biology or Psychology. I am still considering double majoring because why not? I have always wanted to work with sea turtle conservation, and there is also a career connected with psychology that is called Comparative Psychology, which is the study of animal behavior. That is also something I can see myself doing.

HC: Do you have a favorite quote?

MB: “We didn’t lose the game, we just ran out of time.” -Vince Lombardi

Mia Lepp is currently beginning her third year at Florida State University as a double major in Marketing and Media Communication Studies. She is a writer and has a passion for traveling the world. When she's not writing about the latest going on at FSU she is a part time yogi, and trying to find inner peace at her favorite hot yoga class.
Her Campus at Florida State University.