I checked my phone the other day and received a notification that Dua Lipa had just released a long-awaited album. She is seen and known by many as a true modern pop culture icon. Topping the iTunes charts this week is her latest studio album titled Future Nostalgia (The Moonlight Edition). It is currently at number six on the iTunes charts. This deluxe album features hits from Future Nostalgia which was released in 2020. These include Don’t Start Now, Break My Heart and Physical. The pop star released a few new songs to this deluxe version. Perhaps you have heard Levitating (feat. DaBaby) or Prisoner (feat. Dua Lipa) on your local radio station. She has produced a lot of music and content for the public during these trying times of quarantine.

Dua Lipa released We’re Good as a single on the same day she released Future Nostalgia (The Moonlight Edition). Accompanying the dance-worthy beat is a music video with imagery that one would probably not expect. The pop icon is seen singing to an audience in an old-fashioned dining room. The somewhat comedic theme of this video is due to the storyline of a lobster that escapes a restaurant, which we find out is on a ship. At the end of the video, it is clear that Dua and the lobsters were all aboard a ship that resembles the sinking Titanic. Luckily, they all managed to escape. This music video currently has over 13.4 million views on YouTube. In the song itself, it seems as if Dua is bidding farewell to someone that no longer fits well into her life.

Contrary to most songs about parting ways, this tune seems like a farewell without the aggression and bad blood.

Closeup of Dua Lipa in a pink shirt in a convertible (Future Nostalgia album cover)
Hugo Comte

Over time, Dua’s musical career has seen a variety of changes. She has been able to collaborate with different artists as her popularity has increased. On Future Nostalgia (The Moonlight Edition) she collaborated with Bad Bunny, J Balvin and Tainy to produce the rhythmic song titled Un Dia (One Day). These Latin music pop stars gave Dua Lipa’s discography a Spanish flare. She also collaborated with rapper DaBaby on Levitating (feat. DaBaby), giving the album more variety in musical genres. Prisoner (feat. Dua Lipa) is a collab on Miley Cyrus’s album Plastic Hearts that Dua featured on her own album as well. The powerful duo released this track as a single back in Nov. 2020. The two accompanied it with the release of a music video depicting Miley and Dua on a bus with a rebellious undertone throughout. This mainstream-pop tune has an edgy touch thanks to Miley Cyrus’s unique and talented sound.

A lot of praise has been coming Dua Lipa’s way lately. She was just named among Time Magazine’s next 100 most influential people and is even featured on one of their covers for this issue. Kylie Minogue, an Australian singer-songwriter, expresses much admiration for the young pop star throughout this composition about her. The two have collaborated recently on one of Kylie’s tracks titled Real Groove – Studio 2054 Remix. The musical community will be seeing more of Dua Lipa in the near future, and this album release is just one step in her process of becoming a classic pop icon.

Want to see more HCFSU? Be sure to like us on Facebook and follow us on Instagram, Twitter, TikTok, Youtube and Pinterest!

Nicole Ruiz is a junior at Florida State University majoring in Marketing and minoring in Communication. She is originally from Miami, Florida. Nicole loves writing and discovering new music!
Her Campus at Florida State University.