It’s not every day you get to see your neighbor and childhood friend on the big screen, but I’m fortunate to say this very thing. Mitchell Warren is a 21-year-old stuntman, whose worked for Disney, Marvel, Universal and other production companies. Growing up, Mitchell’s family’s backyard was the one with a zip line, below-ground trampoline and other great physical props. His career is just beginning and Her Campus has decided to take a peek inside his world as a stuntman.

Her Campus (HC): Did you ever have any doubts about becoming a stuntman?

Mitchell Warren (MW): When you tell people as a little kid, “I’m going to be a stuntman when I grow up!” you’re bound to get some funny looks. I was pretty lucky in my life to be surrounded by people who supported me and encouraged me, but that wasn’t always the case. One of the most notable moments of somebody doubting me came from a high school administrator. We were at one of those “go-to-college” seminars, and he singled me out of everybody on what my plans were. I told him I planned to be a stuntman one day, and I kid you not, he mocked me. But I don’t hold onto things like that. Now I look back on that and laugh, knowing I’m accomplishing my dreams of being a stuntman and getting a college degree at the same time.

HC: Who is your role model?

MW: My dad is my role model, not only as a stuntman but as an all-around person. He practiced and preached about working hard and doing things the ethical way throughout my life, and he has become a well-known and highly respected stuntman in the industry. My dad has had a significant influence on me, and I’m fortunate to have an amazing role model like him in my life.

Mitchell and his dad
Photo by Mitchell Warren

HC: What does it mean to be a stuntman? Can you describe your day-to-day activities?

MW: This is a loaded question because it’s hard to describe the typical day-to-day activities of being a stuntman, but I’ll tell you how it usually goes for me. In the live stunt shows, I follow a basic routine: warm-up/stretch, a morning meeting with all the performers and managers, put on wardrobe and then perform the shows. Between shows, I usually train stunt-related skills with my friends or workout. Anything to keep active. It is always fun and different, even if the basics stay the same. On set, it’s a whole other story. You never really know what you’re going to do on set because one day, you might be playing flag football with a bunch of witches and wizards, and a couple of days later, you’re doing 30-foot falls into a pool. It’s fun and different and keeps you on your toes. All-in-all, I love doing both and enjoy what they both have to offer.

Mitchell Falling
Photo by Mitchell Warren

HC: Are there any celebrities that you’ve worked with? If so, who was your favorite?

MW: Christ Pratt was by far one of the most fun people I’ve had the opportunity to work with. I worked with Chris on a movie called The Tomorrow War, and he was just so passionate and loved what we were all doing so much. The great thing about Chris is that he is exactly the same in person as he appears on camera. He is a funny, easy-going guy that loves to mess around and have a good time. 

HC: Tell us about your work experiences (shows) as a stuntman?

MW: I have done a handful of live stunt shows, television shows and films in my short career so far. I have had the opportunity to work at the “Indiana Jones Epic Stunt Spectacular!” as Indiana Jones, as one of the Cairo Tumblers at Disney’s Hollywood Studios and “The Bourne Stuntacular!” at Universal Orlando Resort as Jason Bourne. Some of my film and television works include Legacies, The Walking Dead, Black Lightning and The Suicide Squad, each show presenting new and exciting stunts I was able to take part in.

Mitchell fighting
Photo by Mitchell Warren

HC: Imagine yourself in three years. What do you hope will be different about you then compared to now?

MW: Three years from now, I hope to be transitioning out of the live stunt shows and more into film/television and to have a broader skill set that I feel comfortable and proficient in to aid me in my stunt career.

HC: Any mottos you live by or quotes?

MW: I like to live by a motto my dad has always told me: “Don’t be a guy that’s just great at one thing—be a guy that’s good at everything.” Of course, it’s nearly impossible to be good at everything—so pick just a few skills and hone them in. Many stunt guys become proficient in one skill—for example, being a “Car Guy”—but neglect other stunt-related skills. You’ll be a more viable option and will most likely get more work if you have a broad skill set. 

HC: What’s the craziest experience you’ve had while on set?

MW: My craziest experience while on set was when I was working on a movie called The Tomorrow War. I was called to be a part of a scene where I would do some falls into a gigantic “rooftop” pool built on a soundstage. By the time we started filming, about 15 other people and I were standing 30-feet above the pool on the outside of some construction “boom lift” platforms with fake rain showering us, waiting to hear “Action!” On action, we all started taking off one at a time, throwing crazy flips and twists to try and make it look gnarlier on camera. It was by far one of the wildest and most fun experiences I have ever had on set. 

Want to see more HCFSU? Be sure to like us on Facebook and follow us on Instagram, Twitter and Pinterest!

Hey, I'm Taylor Kirby! I'm a sophomore double majoring in Marketing & Advertising at FSU. You can find me in my room mourning the loss of "Vine" as I pretend I don't know almost every Tik Tok dance.
Her Campus at Florida State University.