Gardner Minshew II seems to have become a household name overnight to Jacksonville natives. Even Duval residents who don’t pay close attention to football are familiar with his bright smile crowned by his signature mustache. His rise to stardom has caused an uproar which has been affectionately named “Minshew Mania” in the community.

According to Business Insider, “Minshew was thrust into the spotlight when Nick Foles broke his collarbone in Week 1.” But it wasn’t until week three that his skills fully began to shine on TIAA Bank Field. Minshew “threw for 204 yards and 2 touchdowns” to help the Jags win against the Tennessee Titans. His incredible numbers continue to challenge his standing as a sixth-round rookie.

After this game three victory, excited Jags fans quickly went into the Minshew Mania frenzy. Fans started growing mustaches in support, and those who couldn’t sport natural facial hair stuck fake, furry adhesive cut-outs to their upper lips. His signature style, including wildly patterned headbands, aviator sunglasses and jean shorts, is being mimicked by locals of the river city. According to the Florida Times Union, Minshew’s jersey sales have jumped to fifth-place among NFL players in just one week. “Minshew Merch” is a hot commodity.

Even a local bar, Hyperion Brewing Company, has renamed one of its popular beers “Minshew’s Mafia” in honor of J-ville’s new quarterback. Of course, the drink is teal – the same iconic color of the team for which he plays.

Courtesy: Business Insider

So, why all the hype? Cade Eubanks, 20, a Jacksonville native and lifelong Jaguars fan offers his thoughts. “It’s a big deal for the city,” he says, “the Jags are renowned for drafting bust QBs and now that we have our own talent that’s being brought up in Jax is unprecedented for the position.” And on his personality, Eubanks laughs. “He has a certain swagger and charisma to him that screams Duval. It’s like he’s been one of us since before he was drafted.”

As for that distinguishable charisma and swagger, it’s certainly easy to tell that Minshew is eccentric. For one, Gardner Minshew II is the first in his family to be named Gardner Minshew, because that’s obviously how numbers work. Jokes aside, His father simply wanted to name his son Gardner II and did just that without the requirement of having a first. He also claims the best way to work out is to remove all friction, i.e. clothes, and I’m sure that created a visual for you which happens to lead right into another interesting tidbit. So speaking of, well, that, Minshew was presented with an offer of 1 million dollars by a pornography company “to do naked weekly fitness classes.” Even if he exercises in the nude, Minshew’s flamboyant clothing style might be something his fans enjoy most about him, which can be seen in the following picture:

Courtesy: New York Post

Minshew has been through a lot to reach this successful point in his life. He had four different transfer years, almost pursued coaching instead of playing football, and, oh yeah, the time he tried to break his hand with a couple swigs of Jack Daniels and a hammer to get a redshirt and ultimately “preserve another year of eligibility.” When asked how he got through these tough times, he responded with “I kept my faith in God, I kept my faith in my family, and we all got through it together.”

Want to see more HCFSU? Be sure to like us on Facebook and follow us on Instagram, Twitter and Pinterest!

Rebecca is a junior at FSU majoring in creative writing. She enjoys reading novels until midnight (okay, maybe 2:00 AM), binge-watching shows on Netflix, and hiking in the mountains of North Carolina.
Her Campus at Florida State University.