The Met Gala is considered to be one of the most prestigious and highly anticipated events of the year. The annual charity ball is by invitation only, meaning that its attendees are limited to A-list celebrities and influential figures. The event is held at the Metropolitan Museum of Art (better known as the Met) and is hosted by Vogue’s editor-in-chief Anna Wintour. Besides its status, one of the reasons behind the event’s fame is its incorporation of a theme. Every year, the Met decides on a new exhibit that is showcased for several months and open to the general public. In the spring, the Met Gala uses this theme as inspiration for participants’ expected dress code. Since 1971, the Met Gala has had unique themes, all of which have blended art, history and fashion together. Following tradition, the 2023 theme has been revealed and will be showcasing Karl Lagerfeld: A Line of Beauty. 

Karl Lagerfeld is considered to be one of the most renowned designers in the fashion industry. Lagerfeld worked on various projects throughout his lifetime and is famously known for his reinvention of Chanel. Specifically, he was recognized for his ability to modernize classic Chanel motifs and create pieces both trendy and true to the original Coco Chanel designs. With his vision, Chanel was able to preserve its image as a luxury brand that is still widely recognizable today. On top of this, Lagerfeld worked closely with Fendi and Chloe, until he eventually created his namesake brand. 

The upcoming theme acts as a means of remembrance for the late artist who died of pancreatic cancer in 2019. Ironically, Lagerfeld was adamant in his belief that fashion didn’t belong in a museum, stating that “fashion is not art—it belongs on the street, on women’s bodies, on men’s bodies.” Andrew Bolton, the head curator for the Met’s costume center, understood this and found a way to pay homage to Lagerfeld while still respecting his wishes. Instead of the traditional fashion exhibit, Bolton will be showcasing Lagerfeld’s sketches which have been an integral basis for his most popular designs. Lagerfeld’s use of serpentine, straight and satirical lines in his drawings will be showcased as a way to portray the artistry behind his fashion vision and to highlight his meticulous design process. The exhibit will also emphasize Lagerfeld’s ability to transform two-dimensional drawings into three-dimensional garments. 

Since Vogue’s announcement, the theme has received mixed reactions. While many were excited to celebrate the designer’s legacy, others were disappointed in Vogue’s choice to recognize Lagerfeld. People on social media have been recounting insensitive comments previously made by the artist, especially during the Me Too movement. Lagerfeld expressed frustration with the movement during its time and was criticized for his defense of Karl Templar, the creative director of Interview, who was accused of sexual misconduct in the workplace. In response to these allegations, Lagerfeld stated, “If you don’t want your pants pulled about, don’t become a model.” He has also been criticized for his comments made towards plus-size women, with instances of him calling Adele “a little too fat” and other inappropriate weight comments.

While celebrity attire is often kept a secret until the night of the Met Gala, the theme is certainly more specific as compared to previous, more abstract themes. As the world prepares for the event, fans can expect to see lots of vintage Chanel and black-and-white combinations similar to Lagerfeld’s everyday fashion.

Want to see more HCFSU? Be sure to like us on Facebook and follow us on Instagram, TwitterTikTokYouTube and Pinterest!

Shelby is currently a sophomore studying Media/Communication Studies with a minor in Film Studies. She is passionate about reading and writing and is always looking for new movie/TV show recommendations!