Meet Tallahassee’s Finest: Top Tier Entertainment Group

Name: (From left to right) Taylor Gaynes, Blake Virgilio Carter, Jesse Morgan 

Age: 22, 21, 21

Year: Senior, Junior, Senior

Fraternity: Phi Kappa Tau, Pi Kappa Alpha, Phi Sigma Kappa

Hometown: Boulder, CO; Boca Raton, FL; Deerfield Beach, FL

Relationship Status: Taken, Taken, Very Single

Her Campus (HC): Was it difficult planning the launch of your entertainment group?

Blake Carter (BC): Starting anything from scratch is difficult. It is time consuming, it is draining, but it is exciting and extremely rewarding. You have to learn as you go and jump through multiple hoops to get anywhere close to where you want to be, but that is all part of entrepreneurship.

Taylor Gaynes (TG): I probably spent 40 hours in Brooklyn Water Bagel the week we launched. At one point, I thought I lived there. They even went as far as to reserve us a table one day. Great coffee, great people. Sadly, we go there much less now.

Jesse Morgan (JM): I don’t want to say it was difficult because we knew what direction we wanted to go from the beginning, but it was a lot of hard work and months of preparation. People don’t really know how much behind the scenes work actually goes into promotion unless they’ve done the job.

HC: Do you plan on keeping the Top Tier Ent. Group going once you all graduate?

BC: I plan on keeping Top Tier going after I graduate because it is a very successful business and has potential to continue growing. Also, my dream is to be a self-made entrepreneur and Top Tier is helping me get to that point.

TG: I am proud to say that somehow, despite this lifestyle, I am graduating on time from Florida State with a 3.3. However, I don’t think FSU is ready to stop partying with Top Tier, so I will be here another year with my partners working on expanding the company, making our current parties even crazier, and spraying champagne in your faces.

JM: We plan on keeping the name, but evolving into something a little different. I’ll spare the details, but you’ll see soon enough.

HC: What is your proudest moment?

BC: My proudest moment was our first night in business. It proved all the naysayers wrong, it put us on the map, but most importantly, it proved to me that with enough hard work and drive, you can achieve your dreams no matter how big or small they might be.

TG: My proudest moment with Top Tier is really a toss up between our first night and our 1-year anniversary party. The first Social Saturday we had, we expected maybe a few of our friends to come and were prepared to close by 12. Over 1,000 people came and that’s when I thought, “Wow, I’m glad we don’t suck.”  7 out of 10 businesses fail within their fist year. On our 1-year anniversary we had over 3,500 guests, which was 2,500 more than last year. To see that growth and still be able to add nights at Clydes and Moda was a rewarding experience.

JM: My proudest moment to date has to be our 1-year anniversary because it was the first milestone we have reached. 70% of businesses do not survive the first year so us being in the other 30th percentile was a proud moment for me.

HC: In one word (or a couple) describe your partners.

BC: Taylor- Social Media Guru, Jesse- The Energizer Bunny

TG: Jesse- outrageous, Blake- Tallahassee’s Mark Cuban.

JM: Blake- He’s a shark, very head strong and serious, Taylor- goofy and witty but very smart, evil genius smart.

HC: Your infamous Facebook promo statuses. How long does it take you to come up with them/is there competition as to who comes up with the best one each week?

BC: Taylor is definitely the king of the promo status. I’ve had a few great ones here and there, but he definitely takes the crown. I’m pretty sure he locked himself in a room for all of Summer B while he figured out an algorithm on how to get more likes.

TG: Whose infamous promotion statuses? Gotta be talking about mine because theirs are terrible. Honestly, five minutes. Everyone thinks that I lock myself in my room and craft these ridiculous statuses for days. I honestly am just always talking, so I’m always thinking about crazy things. I really wish this ability was more transferable to life, but hey, beggars can’t be choosers.

JM: My promo statuses are average at best. Sometimes I get a crazy one in my head but that’s not very often, and they’re all very spur of the moment. None of us really compete too much with statuses because Taylor pretty much takes the cake every week. Like I said evil genius.

HC: Favorite night of the week?

BC: Favorite night of the week has to be Saturday. It is our baby. It is what started it all. I love everything else I do but I will always have a special spot in my heart for Social Saturdays at Painted.

TG: I have three… I may be biased. But… Monday at Clyde’s and Costello’s. Top Tier Fridays at Moda, and Social Saturdays at Painted Lady.

JM: Favorite night of the week? I actually have three. Coincidently they’re all hosted by Top Tier. Social Saturday’s at The Painted Lady, Mandatory Make-out Mondays at Clyde’s and Top Tier Fridays at Moda lounge.

HC: What advice would you give to a group of people that want to start something like this?

BC: Advice to anyone who wants to start something like Top Tier or any sort of business. Put one foot in front of the other and make that first step, but get ready for a bumpy ride because after that first step there is no slowing down. If you want to be successful when running your own business, you have to be working from when you open your eyes in the morning to when you close your eyes at night. There is no such thing in this lifestyle as a 9-5. You’re the janitor, the secretary, the salesman, and the CEO all at the same time. It’s hard, but when it’s what you love doing it is beyond worth it.

TG: It may seem easy to do this. It may seem like you get paid to party…and we do. However, the amount of hard work that goes on behind the scenes is incredible. Pick your partners wisely, treat everyone with respect, take calculated risks, and never give up on something you believe in.

JM: Get ready to work hard. As I mentioned, there is a ton of behind the scenes work that goes into a night. Choose your partners wisely, there has to be a good level of strengths and weaknesses between everyone or else it won’t work. Lastly, don’t listen to the critics and haters. If your heart is in it then go for it.

Florida State Univeristy Retail Merchandising & Product Development MajorCommunications Minor
Her Campus at Florida State University.