Meet Robert Acosta: World Traveler

Name: Robert Acosta

Year: Senior

Age: 22

Relationship status: In a relationship

Major: Hospitality & Finance

Her Campus (HC): Why did you choose to major in Hospitality and Finance?

Robert Acosta (RA): Well, it was sophomore year and I didn’t really know what I was doing in regards to what I wanted to do for a living. I was rooming with some friends from high school, and we threw some huge parties. I loved being able to help other students by bringing joy into their lives with the opportunity to blow off some steam. I decided to add Finance as a major because it is a broad business degree. I wanted to gain a firm understanding of business. The two are a good balance. I get to practice an implied discipline, and I am able to put smiles on people’s faces.

HC: What do you plan on doing with your degree?

RA: I would love to work on a cruise line because I love traveling. I know it’s a lot of hours, but I would have no problem with that. Waking up in a new corner of the world every week is something that really appeals to me.

HC: You participated in the Switzerland study abroad program for Hospitality majors. What would you say was your favorite part of your experience abroad?

RA: I have two favorite parts, and for the life of me I can’t pick a number one. I loved the cities of Barcelona and Prague. They tie for first. I enjoyed Barcelona because it was just a beautiful beach city, and the people were really friendly. The people in Prague weren’t all that friendly, but it is also a beautiful city with a cool history. Plus, the beer was really tasty and dirt cheap.

HC: You also ran with the bulls in Spain. That’s pretty adventurous. Would you say you are an adventurous person?

RA: Definitely. Pamplona, Spain was probably one of the coolest experiences I have ever had. I also recently bought a motorcycle, which is something I just got into. I like to say that risk is managed and not avoided. You can only truly enjoy life when you take risks. I don’t mean that you should do anything stupid and careless, but you need to take risks that are going to enhance your life experience.

HC: How do you think studying abroad will help you in the future?

RA: I learned a lot about myself. For instance, sleeping in a train station wasn’t really all that bad of an experience. I really think it is going to help me in the future because now I have a more hands-on experience with other cultures.

HC: Are you involved in any clubs or organizations at FSU?

RA: Yes. I am the brother coordinator for Sigma Alpha Epsilon, and I am also a part of the Alpha Kappa Psi business fraternity.

HC: What are some of your interests outside of school?

RA: I just love travel and adventure. I like to skydive and I want to visit South Africa to swim with sharks, but I really want to go to Rio de Janeiro for the World Cup. I also am planning a spirit journey across the United States where I will drive everywhere I go and write down everything I experience. I want to write a book about it all.

HC: Do you have any pet peeves?

RA: I don’t like when people steal things.

HC: What would you say your life motto is?

RA: Fortune favors the bold. I first heard this when I was pledging. A fraternity brother said this to me, and it really stuck. It means that you should have confidence and not look back. Life is too short to have regrets.

Her Campus at Florida State University.