Meet Pat Shafer, The LGBTQ+ Community’s Bright Face

Pat Shafer, a senior majoring in public relations, continues to be a beacon of friendliness and acceptance at Florida State University’s Pride Student Union. This is an inclusive community that welcomes those of different gender and sexual identities. Anyone who is a part of the LGBT+ community on campus recognizes his face and signature flaming red hair. Pat is so well known around campus that one could say he’s a local “queer icon.” He works hard to give his best advice to those exploring the LGBT+ community. 

HC: What are you involved in on campus?

Pat: Pride Student Union and Asian American Student Union! I am also a graphic designer at Student Publications.

HC: Can you explain your position and what you did in Pride Student Union?

Pat: For Pride Student Union, I managed all of their social media, primarily. However, as a team member of the leadership board, I also helped develop programming events and oversaw the creation of Pride Union’s first zine, Queer Me Out, designed by my Public Relations Committee.

HC: What made you want to be a part of Pride?

Pat: I got involved with Pride Union to make friends. I felt a strong lack of belonging my entire freshman year; I knew if I transferred to another school I wouldn’t be missed. But after joining Pride as a sophomore, I found my chosen family – my support system and closest confidants.

I pursued leadership with Pride because one, I wanted to become a more vocal leader and advocate for the LGBTQ+ community and two, I wanted to get some public relations experience. I am especially interested in LGBTQ+ communications because the language we use to identify ourselves and each other is always evolving. I think the way we navigate spaces on and offline, closeted or not, is fascinating.

HC: You are the most well-known queer person at Florida State by far. Why do you think that is?

Pat: Probably because I am very extroverted and approachable. Last year I got to know many people through Pride, AASU, PeaceJam, my major, minor and elsewhere. As a leader in Pride, it was very important for me to approach new members, so that they could feel welcome and see themselves belonging to FSU’s LGBTQ+ community. Because I advocate so passionately and openly for LGBTQ+ people, many students – open or otherwise – saw and continue to see me as someone they can talk to about LGBTQ+ topics. It helps that I’m easy to find because of my bright red hair and a very flamboyant sense of style. I’m always walking around campus, so I’m bound to see familiar faces every day.

Courtesy: Pat Shafer

HC: How has this experience helped shape the person you are today?

Pat: Managing Pride’s social media showed me how important an online presence is for an organization, especially one that serves a marginalized community. People sent very personal questions to Pride through social media, and I always made it a priority to help guide them in whatever ways we could in a timely manner. I never wanted them to feel unheard or alone, so I always replied earnestly.

I also learned that people lead and communicate very differently. Pride’s E-board regularly did leadership exercises to identify the most effective ways we can lead together and communicate with one another. I learned that people who are new to the LGBTQ+ community, as I once was, can be very shy and hesitant to ask questions because they may not have the slightest clue what to ask. So I made sure to always say hi to new members I recognized, invite them into conversations or identity nights, and ease tension with light-hearted jokes.

HC: What tips do you have for anyone wanting to get involved in Pride?

Pat: First of all, visit Pride’s shared Agency space on the 4th floor of the Thagard Building. Chances are, you’ll run into an E-Board member there. If not, you might find me down the hall working in Student Publications. Also, go to Pride’s events! It’s a very easy way to make LGBTQ+ friends.

HC: Have you had any new students approach and/or bond you?

Pat: Yes, newer members of the community and LGBTQ+ students new to FSU have seen me as someone in whom they can confide. I only hope to continue to maintain that impression. I have taken students under my wing because I know how important LGBTQ+ mentorship can be. I know I would have benefited tremendously from having a mentor like that in high school or as a college freshman. So, I try to be that person for others when I can.

HC: And finally, what words do you have for anyone newly discovering their identity, or exploring it?

Pat: My advice is to be patient with yourself. Don’t expect to wake up one day knowing all the terms you want to identify with because it’s not going to happen. But also, don’t place pressure on yourself to identify with a label! Labels are for you, not for anyone else. They are best used to help you understand your own identity. The labels you use to describe yourself might change over time, and that’s okay. Finding others with whom you identify with is very helpful. Also, having a group of friends who will cheer on your gender non-conformity or change in pronouns is so important. If you can’t find them within physical proximity, you can find them online. Watching LGBTQ+ content creators on YouTube is the way I discovered most LGBTQ+ terminology and found experiences I shared!

I am a Creative Writing major studying at Florida State University. I have loved writing all kinds of genres since I was ten years old, and that passion has only grown over the last eleven years. Aside from writing, my passions also include drawing, painting, and cuddling my cat, Mason.
Her Campus at Florida State University.