awon odo logo with model
awon odo logo with model
Photo by Ope Majekodunmi
Career

Meet Ope Majekodunmi: The Designer Behind Your Favorite New Clothing Brand, Awọn Odo

Ope Majekodunmi is a Miami-based designer whose fashion brand, Awọn Odo, houses statement pieces for those who live life with youthfulness at heart. The brand’s Yoruba-based name is a nod to Ope’s Nigerian heritage and directly translates back to English as “the youth.” When I asked how she would describe her brand, she told me that all her designs are meant for individuals with a youthful mindset and those searching for something new and creative. At only 20 years old, Ope has defied the path usually laid out for young adults and has chosen to take matters into her own hands, literally. 

Her Campus (HC): Hey Ope! First and foremost, I’m curious to know what the day was like when you decided to go forth with your business. Any details?

Ope Majekodunmi (OM): It was either in August or September of last year. I was hanging out with a friend at my house and I showed him one of the iridescent durags that I had designed and made for myself. He immediately asked me if I was selling them and went on raving about how he and his friends would buy them. At that moment, I knew he was right. 

boy wearing shiny durag and mask
Photo by Kay Val
HC: With starting your own small business, what type of responsibilities do you feel that you have, especially as a black woman?

OM: My responsibilities as a small business owner are to make sure that I stand for something bigger than just a brand. I want it to be apparent that the owner of this business is a Black woman. I also want other women, especially Black women, to look at me and know that they can start their own businesses too. For example, seeing someone like Rihanna and all the work she’s done for Fenty is a big deal. She proves that being a Black woman in the fashion industry is important and that there are people who want to be a part of that. It’s all about setting an example, even if it’s on a smaller scale. 

HC: What was the hardest part at the beginning of getting your business off the ground? What’s the hardest part about it now?

OM: The hardest part at the beginning of my business was realizing that I would be the only person sewing all my products so I had to make sure to map out all of my time. I would end up shipping out a lot of my orders really late and felt bad for my customers. I also felt like I needed more professional, heavy-duty equipment which I didn’t have at the time. The hardest part now is still trying to keep up with all my sewing but also making sure I am posting content and marketing my brand on social media. I love to interact with my followers but I sometimes have to sacrifice that to finish sewing and packaging all my orders. 

HC: With the recent push for more sustainable fashion, how does your brand match up?

OM: I don’t currently use fabrics that are considered sustainable before I work with them. But when I create my pieces, I think of them in terms of longevity and as pieces that you could keep for years. Even when I go shopping, I choose items that I would wear for a year over items that I would wear for a week.

HC: I think you’ll like this next question! Are there any brands you’d like to give a shoutout to that have inspired you?

OM: One of the brands that have really inspired me and have helped me on my journey is Matte Brand. The owner of the brand, Briana Shaneè, created a six-week girl boss program where we learned how to market and pitch our businesses and I ended up winning a grant for $1000 at the end of it. I love the fact that she’s a Black woman with a story that’s relatable to mine. She came from a middle-class family in Texas and decided to start a brand that was different from what the rest of her family had done with their careers. It just felt relatable to me as someone who’s had help from their family to do what they love.

HC: What’s next for Awọn Odo? Any new collections or partnerships?

OM: I do have a new collection coming out soon! I’ll be working with a manufacturer, so I won’t have to sew the bulk of my products by hand anymore. I’ll have more time to focus on designing new items, marketing them and packaging them for my customers. 

HC: OK, here’s another fun one. If you could have one celebrity wear your clothing, who would it be?

OM: If I had to pick one celebrity to wear my clothing, it would have to be Saweetie. I have emailed both her manager and stylist a few times but I’m still waiting on a reply. I’m going to keep trying though. That would be a dream because I feel like my brand represents her style very well. She used to have her own clothing brand when she was back in college but chose to pursue her music career instead. I love her personality and mentality towards her musical ventures. Fingers crossed I’ll get a reply!

Make sure to check out the Awọn Odo website for Ope’s latest designs. You can also follow both Ope and her brand page on Instagram at these tags: @OpeMajek and @OdoTheLabel.

Want to see more HCFSU? Be sure to like us on Facebook and follow us on Instagram, Twitter and Pinterest!

writer.