Meet Megan Miller: Panhellenic New Member of the Year

Courtesy of Megan Miller’s Facebook Page

Name: Megan Miller

Year in college: Sophomore

Hometown: North Miami Beach, Florida

Organizations involved with on campus: Student Alumni Association, Freshman Leadership Institute, Alpha Gamma Delta International Fraternity, Florida State University Homecoming, The Big Event, Dance Marathon

Her Campus (HC): What has been the most exciting part of being a Florida State Seminole so far?

Megan Miller (MM): Being a part of the tradition that FSU encompasses. I did not expect that when I came to college everyone would be so open, welcoming, and willing to help! Being in the stands at football games and learning the fight song and war chant was also an amazing experience for me as a Seminole.

HC: Congratulations on winning Panhellenic New Member of the Year last year! How has this achievement impacted the way you represent yourself and your chapter on campus?

MM: It made me realize that people actually paid attention to what I was doing at FSU! As a new member, I think that it is easy to assume that people are not paying attention to you and your accomplishments, but this award proved everybody wrong! I feel so proud to be a member of Alpha Gamma Delta; if it weren’t for my sisters I would not be who I am today. In the future I hope to work closer with the Panhellenic Council.

HC: What advice would you give any young collegiette interested in going through Panhellenic formal recruitment?

MM: You have to be yourself the entire time, and for some people that can be really difficult! Keeping your options open and maintaining a positive attitude always helps. Even if you do not think that sorority life is for you, it can be surprising what you gain out of the recruitment experience as a whole. As cliché as it sounds, you have to maintain your values and be true to who you are. Wherever you end up is right for you!

HC: Why are the organizations that you are involved with on campus so important to you?

MM: Being so involved as a freshman opened my eyes to what FSU has to offer. It made me realize what it means to be a true Florida State Seminole. Through my membership in Alpha Gamma Delta, I have learned leadership, teamwork, and how to properly represent my chapter on campus. With the Student Alumni Association, I discovered the history of FSU and realized the true responsibility of carrying on the Florida State legacy. My participation in other charitable events, such as the Big Event and Dance Marathon, taught me how to uphold the garnet and gold and contribute to the community.

HC: If you could change anything about your time at Florida State, what would it be and why?

MM: I try my best to live my life with no regrets, but if I have to come up with one it would be not caring about what other people think so much. You have to go through life without trying to prove yourself or your worth to somebody. Being part of certain organizations does not fully define who you are, it’s your own personality that counts!

HC: If you had to pick any celebrity to play you in a movie, who would it be and why?

MM: Jennifer Lawrence! She is so true to who she is and hasn’t let Hollywood change her. She is so genuine and authentic and I really identify with that.

HC: If you were to describe yourself as an ice-cream flavor, what would it be and why?

MM: Coffee! That’s the sole reason I have all of this energy to participate in everything on campus! I lived on coffee last year and I don’t think that’s going to change much this year.

HC: If you were to identify with one Her Campus FSU category, what would it be and why?

MM: The new snapshot category! I love photography so anytime I can utilize photos is great. I love going to events on campus and taking pictures, it helps you meet a lot of people and learn about different organizations!

Hollie Morey is a creative writing enthusiast, when she is not studying for her double major in communications and political science! In her free time, Hollie loves to curl up with a great novel or the latest edition of Glamour, as well as catch up on her favorite shows: Pretty Little Liars and Mad Men! Hollie has a particular interest in writing about fashion and local current events and can be found looking on Her Campus for great style tips or for ideas for things to do in Tallahassee!
Her Campus at Florida State University.