books on brown wooden shelf
books on brown wooden shelf
Susan Yin/Unsplash

Meet the Kids of the Never Again Movement

In our current political climate, we are a nation divided over the issue of gun control. As a result of this division, progress is not being made and innocent lives are being lost every day. However, in light of the most recent mass shooting at Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School, a band of individuals has decided to take action. The thing that might shock you: they’re kids. Here are some of the movement’s most prominent influencers:

1. Emma González, 18

Courtesy: Marie Claire

Most notable for writing and executing a jaw-dropping speech only two days after the shooting, it is no wonder that Emma has become the face of the #NeverAgain movement. In only 11 short minutes, Emma’s speech had the world in tears. She instantly went viral and was contacted by news reporters, radio stations, celebrities and elected officials. Emma is not only known for making a tremendous impact on the movement, but also for being a light-hearted and care-free spirit. Even in the darkest of times, she finds a way to keep her hopes high by retweeting funny tweets, starting the #BaldiesGetTheJobDone hashtag and taking fun behind-the-scenes selfies with her fellow peers. At only 18 years old, it’s clear that Emma is changing the world and we can’t wait to see how far her tenacity takes her!

2. Cameron Kasky, 17

Courtesy: Fortune

Known for being a very blunt and daring voice in the movement, Kasky has a heart full of passion and nerves of steel! Shortly after the tragic incident that took place on Feb. 14, Cameron was one of the first students to be interviewed. In a conversation with Anderson Cooper, he took to the public eye to make his voice heard. With more professionalism and intelligence than countless adults, Kasky was able to “talk politics” with ease! This made him an instant role model for his peers. He proved himself yet again on Wednesday, Feb. 21 at CNN Town Hall in Sunrise, Florida. His passion when speaking to Sen. Marco Rubio made him an even stronger force in the movement.

3. Jaclyn Corin, 17

Courtesy: Instagram

Jaclyn “Jackie” Corin’s most notable contribution to the movement thus far has been the organization of a massive student trip to meet with Florida lawmakers in Tallahassee, Florida. The meeting took place on Tuesday, Feb. 20, where Jackie was joined by 100 other Marjory Stoneman Douglas students. The 100 students split into groups of 10 to meet with 10 different state senators and state representatives. As the ringleader of the Tallahassee trip, Jackie has received much-deserved credit and praise on social media for such hard work in so little time! Recently, Jackie was also featured on The Ellen Show alongside Emma González and Cameron Kasky. Only time will tell what else Jackie has in store for #NeverAgain.

4. David Hogg, 17

Courtesy: CBS

David Hogg has become a very powerful voice for the #NeverAgain movement. Unfortunately, Hogg has gained negative attention as a result of false conspiracies accusing him of being a “crisis actor.” With maturity and support, Hogg has shut down these accusations and used the attention as an even stronger platform for relaying his message. After conversations on Anderson Cooper 360 and Meet the Press, Hogg has proved himself vastly professional and eloquent at such a young age. This, however, comes as no surprise considering he aspires to become a professional journalist one day! 

5. Sam Zeif, 18

Courtesy: MSNBC

Sam Zeif initially made headlines for tweeting screenshots of a text conversation he had with his little brother during the Marjory Stoneman Douglas lockdown. His tweet instantly went viral and caught the attention of the media. Sam was even invited to speak at a meeting with Pres. Trump about gun control on Wednesday, Feb. 21. Here, he emphasized the need for gun control and spoke about the pain he is feeling after losing his best friend, Joaquin Oliver, in the attack. He was later interviewed by Brian Williams about how successful he felt the meeting was. It is clear that after speaking with the President, Sam still believes there is a lot of work to be done in the fight. However, he will not back down or rest until change has been made.

School: Florida State University Year: Senior Major: Editing, Writing, and Media
Her Campus at Florida State University.