Meet Katie Bessell: A “Spirited” Campus Celeb

Name: Katie Bessell

Major:  Communications

Year: Sophomore

Hometown: Clearwater, FL

Her Campus (HC): So Katie, to start, why don’t you tell us a little bit about yourself!

Katie Bessell (KB): It is my second year here at Florida State. I am originally from Clearwater, Florida where I was a part of the broadcasting and theatre programs at Countryside High School. I am also a tap dancer, movie buff and Harry Potter fanatic.

HC: What all are you involved with on campus?

KB: As of right now, I am mainly a part of Lady Spirithunters.

HC: How did you first get involved with LSH?

KB: The first time I heard about Spirithunters was at the President’s BBQ last year. It was the first event I went to as a freshman and when you walked in there were these girls that were painting “warstripes” on people’s faces. I saw someone I went to high school with and asked her what organization she was with because I thought it was pretty neat and she gave me the low down on what Sprithunters was. So in the Spring I decided to apply, and I couldn’t be happier with my decision.

HC: What are some specific things that you do or participate in as a Lady Spirithunter?

KB: We are a spirit-based organization that works directly with the athletics department. We paint warstripes on people as they enter the stadiums, but we also help with swim meets and the skyboxes during home football games. We are also involved with community service. For example, last weekend we volunteered at the Humane Society with their dog wash. On campus we participate in Homecoming, Dance Marathon, and Relay for Life as well.

HC: What’s the most rewarding part about being involved with LSH? How would you say it has positively affected you? 

KB: The most rewarding part of LSH would have to be the friendships that I have made and the smiles that you leave on people’s faces after you paint them. We are sharing our love for our university with those around us and that in itself is a rewarding feat. This organization has really helped me open up and experience more of the University than I ever thought I would.

HC: Do you have any advice for those looking into joining the Lady Spirithunters?

KB: Although it sounds cliché, just be yourself. Everyone I have met in this organization are grounded and unique individuals, that have truly made me feel at home within such a big university, so don’t be afraid about showing your personality.

HC: Are there any other organizations that you could see yourself becoming involved with and why?

KB: I have been thinking about interviewing to become an Orientation Leader. After experiencing orientation at the beginning of my freshman year, it is something that I can see myself loving. You’re basically there to welcome students to the University and show them what it means to be a Seminole. I think it would be a very rewarding experience.            

HC: What are you plans for the future?

KB:  I plan on applying to the Media Production School within the next couple of months. Hopefully later in life becoming a Technical Director.

HC: Lastly, what’s your favorite part about being a Florida State Seminole?

KB: The atmosphere. You can tell that everyone is passionate and proud to say that they are Seminoles, and I am right there with them.

Sarah Shellabarger is a senior at Florida State University, majoring in English - Editing, Writing, Media and minoring in Communications. This is her third semester as a HCFSU staff writer. When she's not drowning in assigned readings, Sarah enjoys attempting to get celebrities to follow her on Twitter, daily Dunkin Donuts trips, praising Stevie Nicks, and (unsuccesfully) begging her boyfriend to buy her a kitten. Sarah hopes to one day put her witty banter to good use by writing for a clever yet underappreciated TV show, and eventually becoming the next Tina Fey.    
Her Campus at Florida State University.