Meet Julian Gonzalez: Photographer and CEO of Shot By Media

Julian Gonzalez, born in Oyster Bay, New York is a full-time student at Florida State University. He is pursuing a degree in interdisciplinary social science with a minor in psychology. During this time, he has managed to make a name for himself with his passion for photography and networking with his like-minded peers. A Jack of all trades, Julian also has a Florida Real Estate License and has been practicing real estate since 2017.

When Julian began at FSU in 2017, his family noticed that he wasn’t doing much with his free time and was often bored and unproductive.

Julian Gonzalez (JG): Because of this, my dad gifted me his first camera, a Nikon D7000, and told me to go out and photograph anything that was appealing to me when I’m bored.

Little did he know that gift would change his life tremendously.

JG: During the year of 2018, I traveled to 12 different states across the US. I explored different types of cultures and met some of the most interesting people that I now call my friends, while at the same capturing it all. During this time, I was just doing it for fun, but near the end of 2018, my friends and I started to realize that I had a gift. I then wanted to dive deep into the craft and learn all that I could. To this day I am still learning skills and techniques as a photographer, mainly consisting of angles, lighting and subject positioning.

developing film camera
Photo by Immo Wegmann from Unsplash
While still attending university full-time, Julian began freelancing to build his portfolio as well as taking photos and videos at local bars and nightclubs in Tallahassee. Eventually, he felt it was time to make moves towards his future, by taking his skill set and turning it into something more.

JG: When COVID-19 put the world on standstill, I started to plan and then began creating my business, Shot By Media. Shot By Media is a group of creative minds that use simple yet elegant styles to create what you desire.

Through photography, videography, graphic designs, 4D Animation, music videos and per special inquiry, website design and brand development, Julian and other Shot By Media creatives work to capture and convey the visions of other brands and go-getters.

Her Campus (HC): What kind of clients do you work with and how do you acquire them?

JG: We work with anyone but in particular, we prefer to work with unique and ‘not your average’ local businesses. Our most unique clients consist of Reconscious Medical (a legal psychedelic practice and clinic), Potbelly’s Bar and Nightclub, and various artists. We are referred to these companies from our network and the companies often reach out to us.

HC: What makes your work unique and how would you describe your style of photography?

JG: Simplicity is key. Manipulating what is already there (unless desired by a client or working on a creative piece) is equivalent to too much sauce on your dish while cooking. I would describe my style as natural but elegant, bringing out the beauty in anything I shoot.

HC: Where do you expect to take Shot By Media in the future?

JG: Imagine a studio in Venice Beach, California or on Ocean Drive in Miami. When you enter there’s an editing lounge/coffee shop and in the back are studios for photoshoots and videos. That will be Shot By Media in the future.

To see more work by Julian and his fellow creatives, you can check out the company’s website Shot By Media and check out their Instagram account @shotbymedia_.

Want to see more HCFSU? Be sure to like us on Facebook and follow us on Instagram, Twitter, TikTok, Youtube and Pinterest!

Junior at THE Florida State University!
Her Campus at Florida State University.