Meet Jasmine Crane: A Francophile With a Passion for News

Francophile

[frang-kuh-fahyl]

Noun

1. A person who admires France and the French

Adjective

2. Marked by or possessing admiration of France and the French

It was only after I sat down to write about junior Jasmine Crane that I needed a word to describe the passion she has for French culture. However, as I looked for a word to sum up Ms. Crane for the title, I found she is many, many things. When we interviewed, she sat down coolly, her demeanor only one that someone truly comfortable in herself could pull off. She came off very easy and effortless; characteristics women strive for years to attain. She came off, as I realized later, very French.

Her Campus (HC): What arre you involved in on campus?

Jasmine Crane (JC): I’m involved in Lady Spirithunters. I am a staff writer for the FSView and the Florida Flambeau. I write for the arts and culture section.  I’m not sure it counts as on campus, but there’s this website called Tallahassee Scene and it was started by people over in Gainesville. A lot of people on campus write for it. There are different sections: Gainesville, Tampa and then Tallahassee; I am the editor for that part of the website. I intern at WTXL-ABC 27 News. I started that this semester, and I’m looking to get more internships in the fall. So, fingers crossed!

HC: What have you been involved in that has had the biggest impact on your career at Florida State?

JC: When I was a sophomore, I got into writing for this BuzzFeed-type of website called College Social which then rebranded to become RevelU. That is actually what really started my writing career.  In high school I was like, “oh journalism sounds really fun” and then my whole family was like, “don’t do it, you’ll be poor!”  They really were super anti-journalist and super anti-writing. When I got to college I was a microbiology major and I quickly changed that to undecided. I was exploratory and then I started doing this writing thing for this website. It was all creative content; you could write about any topic you wanted to and you could contribute videos. It really kick starte my writing and it kick started my passion for journalism. It inspired me to apply for the media communications major, so I did that.  Everything just kind of snowballed after that.

HC: What are your plans after graduation?

JC:  To move! To anywhere that is not Florida.  I have my sights set on Chicago or Boston or maybe New Jersey.  I just want to move and get out of this area so I can have more opportunities within my field.  Ideally, I would move, get a job doing what I want and with a company that allows me to travel. My ultimate goal is to move out of the country.

HC: What are your career aspirations?

JC: I want to be the foreign correspondent for NBC news.  So Anderson Cooper basically, except he’s with CNN or MSNBC. Richard Engel is the guy for NBC, and I want his job.  In the meantime, until I can get there I want to continue writing: start local and work my way up. 

(Photo Jasmine took during her travels in France)

HC: Where do you see yourself in five years?

JC: I honestly see myself living in France in five years. That’s, like, a real thing I’ve been entertaining. I understand French and I read it really well, though not so much speaking because I’m self-conscious. I’ve been there multiple times. I studied abroad there. I’m in love with the culture. I fit in with the lifestyle so much better than I do here. I just see myself there and I’ve done so much research to try to figure out how I can move there. It’s an honest to God possibility. It’s just I don’t feel comfortable doing it right out of college.  I want to learn how to be an adult in America first and then go be an adult in France. In five years, I’d really like to see myself living in France, whether it’s working in a bakery or writing. I just want to live there.  I’d love to move to France and take a cooking or baking class and start an apprenticeship at a restaurant.  That’s another career goal I could have [laughs]. I could also blog about it and start an awesome blog. If you see me in five years and I’m not in France, I’m probably crying.

HC: If you could be a vending machine, what would you carry?

JC: I would carry Rolo’s, Nutella packets with a spoon, and I want to invent, like, small pods of straight caffeine that you can eat and just be energized all day.  Kleenex. I’m going to name some generic stuff just because it’s useful. What if you’re walking around campus and all of sudden you’ve got to sneeze?  Hmmm I’m trying to be unique. See, I’m a weirdo. Like, I’d need fresh fruit, pens and pencils, and caffeine shots because that needs to be a real thing. If I made them 75 cents everyone would have a hay day. I’d have hair ties in my vending machine. Maybe some sunglasses. Peanut M&M’s because I love peanut M&M’s. Maybe a beer, maybe some alcohol, just because.  If you want to just go generic, I’d put lots of chocolate and just general stuff you need when you’re walking around campus.  You’re like “crap I don’t have a pen!” There’s a vending machine! “Damnit it’s about to rain!” Yo there’s a vending machine! Umbrellas! I’d be there to help people get their sugar craving, their caffeine fix, and their daily needs satisfied. 

Janecia Britt, originally from Tampa, FL is a junior at Florida State who’s enchanted by all things fashion, interior design and art. Majoring in Editing, Writing and Media with a minor in Communication, she has big goals to move to NYC after graduation. She's a brand ambassador for eff.y.bee jewelry, a member of the Victoria Secret PINK Street Team and a Lady SpiritHunter! When she’s not writing for HerCampus, she is baking, crafting and cooking for her friends. You can find her taking Step and Pilates classes at the Leach or canvassing all the boutiques of Tallahassee. She’s a busy bee but puts her heart and soul into everything she does (including her infamous desserts).
Her Campus at Florida State University.