Meet Hannah Beth Ragland, Etsy Queen

Name: Hannah Beth Ragland

Year: Sophomore

Major: Literature

Minor: Art History

Hometown: Richmond, Virginia

Shop: All My Metaphors

HC (Her Campus): How did you come up with your Etsy shop’s name?

HBR (Hannah Beth Ragland): “Allmymetaphors” is just the name I use on most social media websites. It was originally taken from a song title, but now it’s become sort of my signature.

HC: When did you first open your Etsy, and what made you decide to start one?

HBR: My Etsy first formally opened in August of 2012. I decided to start an Etsy because I had heard from several people on Tumblr that they were interested in buying some of my work, so I figured it was worth a try! I never expected to sell more than a handful of paintings, but since 2012 it’s grown a lot and turned into a job!

HC: What kinds of things can we buy from your shop?

HBR: I sell stickers, buttons, prints, etc. with my original work on them, as well as a few other crafts. I also sell zines, usually of poetry, but covering various topics that I’m passionate about, from feminism to literature. 

Good Vibes Watercolor Stickers

Constellation Moleskine

HC: Where do you make your items? Do you collaborate with anyone?

HBR: I make my items in my art studio (a converted extra bedroom) here in my house in Tallahassee, Florida. I share the studio space with my best friend and roommate, Kandi Bridges, who is also an artist, and a literature major, and runs her own etsy as well.  I don’t collaborate with my friends regularly, but I do work off of them a lot for ideas and feedback!

HC: About how many orders do you get in a typical week?

HBR: Usually 5-10, depending on the traffic my Etsy gets that week. During holiday seasons and big sales I can average 30 sales a week!

HC: How many countries have you shipped to? Was there one in particular that surprised you?

HBR: Including the US, I think I’ve shipped to 18 countries. The most surprising were Turkey, China, and Malaysia.  Aside from the US, most of my orders come from Australia and Canada!

HC: Do you ever incorporate your major/minor into your merchandise?

HBR: Yes! I try really hard to make sure that I include the things I’m passionate about in my work whenever I can. Over the summer I released a collaborative zine called “Book Babes,” which went over a few of my favorite books. I also sell stickers and buttons with my favorite works of art in them. I have a zine in the works that includes poems I’ve written from the point of view of my favorite artist’s, alongside images of some work that they’ve done. I’m really excited about this because it will be my first time combining all of my favorite things into one piece – art history, poetry, and zines!

“Book Babes” Zine

Art History Stickers

HC: What is your most popular item, and what item is your personal favorite?

HBR: My most popular items are probably my stickers in general. People love stickers, as it turns out! I don’t think I have a favorite exactly, but I think my personal favorites are always my original works, because they’re one-of-a-kind! Every time I list a painting or an embroidery piece or something else that can’t be reproduced I feel really excited about it, and I always look forward to sending them out!

HC: Do you have any advice or tips for people trying to open their own online shop?

HBR: My biggest tip would be to not be discouraged easily. Sometimes it takes months to even make those first few sales! Look to other shops you like for inspiration, and continue adding new items regularly. Running any sort of online shop can be stressful and weird, but it’s a lot of fun and very rewarding, so all the work will definitely be worth it! 

Her Campus at Florida State University.