Meet Florida State Swimmer Kevin Matheus

Name: Kevin Matheus 

Age: 20

Year: Sophomore

Hometown: Boca Raton, FL

Relationship Status: Taken

Major: Civil Engineering

Her Campus (HC): What’s your involvement on campus?

Kevin Matheus (KM): I swim for the FSU Swim Team and I work for the ACE Learning Center as a math tutor ranging from Pre-Calc to Calc 3. I do weekly group sessions for Business Calc. 

HC: How long have you been swimming?

KM: For 15 years— I was five when I started competing and when my swimming career began. 

HC: What made you start swimming?

KM: I just joined it for fun at the YMCA and liked it right off the bat. Then I started getting more competitive and racing.

HC: What events do you swim?

KM: The 100-yard butterfly and the 100-yard breaststroke are my two main ones.

HC: What’s your favorite part of swimming?

KM: I’d have to say pushing yourself to a new limit; accomplishing something you never have before and seeing a time you’ve never seen in practice—doing the unthinkable. 

HC: What major achievements have you experienced since being on the FSU Swim team?

KM: I’m on the ACC Academic Honor Roll and I improved a second and a half from my high school time in the 100-yard butterfly; it was 51.07 and now its 49.66. 

HC: Did you choose FSU to swim?

KM: No, I chose FSU on academics; I was originally planning on going to Georgia Tech, but that didn’t work out. I knew I would be able to succeed at Florida State and I’m liking the way things have turned out here.

HC: How do you find balance between school and swimming?

KM: Using my weekends as much as I can and always staying ahead of the game. Not procrastinating is something I’ve really been working on this semester— hopping on assignments the day they’re assigned has been the only way to go. 

HC: What kind of relationship do you have with your teammates?

KM: It’s awesome. We’re all best friends. Some of my high school teammates are now my college teammates and roommates. I’ve been swimming with one of my teammates and now roommates, Jason McCormick, since we were five. We won our swimming state championship together in high school and it’s been awesome to go onto this next phase of life together.

HC: What’s a song that’s always playing at team workouts? 

KM: Radioactive. I always think of early morning workouts when I hear it.

HC: What has been your inspiration through your 15 years of swimming? Why do you keep doing it?

KM: Just the passion for the sport—I always want to get better and I’m never satisfied with where I am. I love to race so that always keeps me going. 

HC: Do you have a favorite quote or saying you live by?

KM: Yes, it’s actually my freshman year academic advisor’s email signature: “Querer es poder.” It means if you want something, it’s power. Power in Spanish means capability as well as power so I always remember that if you want something bad enough, you can do it. 

HC: What’s your favorite bar/club in Tallahassee?

KM: Standard.

HC: Beer or Liquor?

KM: Liquor.

HC: Favorite drink?

KM: Powerade and vodka aka Powerade Punch. 

Fuled by caffeine passion, Danielle is a current English student at The Florida State University, a self-proclaimed fashion addict, and pig lover. Look for her name in the masthead of a glossy magazine one day (fingers crossed). Twitter: @danifontani  
Her Campus at Florida State University.