Meet The Executive Team: Holiday Recipes We Love

It’s the most wonderful time of the year. A time for snuggling up, spending time with loved ones, cozy feelings, and most importantly FOOD. Let’s be honest, there’s nothing like a Thanksgiving feast to help you wash away your exam sorrows. Here are a few recipes (and stories) we wanted to share with you to help put you in that holiday (and hungry) spirit.

Taylor Zollo, Social Media Director

CHOCOLATE TURTLE APPLE POPS

Courtesy: livingly.com

INGREDIENTS

• 2 very large Fuji apples
  • 3 1/2 cups semi-sweet chocolate chips (I used Nestlé)
  • 1 tablespoon coconut oil
  • 1 cup caramels, melted (I used Kraft caramels)
  • Chopped pecans
  • Popsicle sticks

INSTRUCTIONS

1. Slice apples into 1/2″ pieces. With a knife make a little slit in the bottom of each apple slice to make it easier to insert a popsicle stick.
  2. Melt chips in the microwave on high for about 2 minutes.* Stir in coconut oil until smooth. Dip apple slices in chocolate and place on parchment lined cookie sheet.
  3. Place caramels in microwave safe bowl and microwave on high for 45-60 seconds. (* Do NOT overheat.) Stir until smooth. Drizzle melted caramel over chocolate and sprinkle with nuts.
  4. Refrigerate for about 1 hour. Serve and enjoy immediately. Apples are best the first day. Store in refrigerator.

*For best results, follow the chocolate chip package instructions for melting chocolate and same for caramel. Follow the caramel package instructions for melting caramels.

Note: If you’re concerned about biting into an apple seed, just remove them before dipping the apple slice in chocolate.

Eliana DuBosar, Editor-in-Chief

CRANBERRY APPLE TORTE

“For as long as I can remember, my mom has been making this cranberry-apple torte for every holiday, especially Thanksgiving. It’s something that definitely should be a dessert but we eat as a side dish. This is my favorite dish on Thanksgiving (other than the turkey) because it’s got everything that I love about home: warmth, sweetness, and all of the memories of helping my mom make it during the holidays as well as enjoying it around the table.” 

INGREDIENTS

Crust:

• 2 cups all-purpose flour, sifted
  • 2 cups dark brown sugar
  • 1 1/2 cups oatmeal (quick-cooking or 1-minute type)
  • 1 cup melted margarine (Butter can be used instead if preferred)
  • 2 teaspoons cinnamon

Filling:

• 4 Cortland Apples, peeled and cut into small chunks
  • 1 (16 oz) can whole berry cranberry sauce
  • 2 Tablespoons all-purpose flour, sifted

INSTRUCTIONS

Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Heavily coat a 9-inch springform pan with nonstick spray; set aside.

In a large bowl mix the 2 cups flour, brown sugar, oats, margarine, and cinnamon. Reserve 1 1/2 cups of this mixture. Press the remainder into the prepared pan and halfway up the sides of the pan with the palm of your hand.

In a medium bowl, combine the apples, cranberry sauce, and 2 tablespoons of flour. Mix with a spoon. Pour the apple mixture into the crust. Sprinkle the remaining crust mixture over the top. Use the back of a spoon to gently press the crust coating so that it evenly coats the top and meets the crust that is coming up the sides. This is what will enclose the filling.

Bake for 40 minutes. However, if you bake it in advance, you may want to bake it slightly less so that you don’t overcook it when you heat it later.

Recipe and photo courtesy of Kitchenconfidante.com.

Giselle Parks, Graphic Designer

CLASSIC PECAN PIE

Courtesy: foodfolio.net

“My family is big on food, especially when the holidays give us an excuse to cook a big meal with food from all sides of my family heritage. My tía stuffs her turkey with mofongo (a sort of fried plantain dish) instead of traditional stuffing, while my dad always insists on pumpernickel and sourdough dressing to accompany the turkey. We’re big on pies in my family, and each year we make multiple. No matter what side of the family, they always love asking for my pecan pie.

I grew up cooking and baking with my mom and grandmothers, and the food we make is engrained in our family traditions. I adapted this pie recipe from Trisha Yearwood by adding about 1/4-1/2 cup more chopped pecans to help the pie hold its shape, and a touch of pumpkin pie spice (which I also make my own blend of. I spend entirely too much time on Pinterest.) I’m not joking when I say my dad ate half the pie on his own one year.”

INGREDIENTS

• 1 Cup light brown sugar, packed
  • 1/2 Cup granulated sugar
  • 2 large eggs
  • 1 Cup chopped pecans
  • 1/2 Cup (1 stick butter), melted
  • 2 Tablespoons milk, or yogurt
  • 1 Tablespoon all-purpose flour
  • 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
  • One “rice flour pie crust”
  • 1 Cup pecan halves
  • Vanilla ice cream or whipped cream, for serving

THE GAME PLAN

1. Preheat the oven to 325 F.
  2. In a large mixing bowl, mix the brown sugar, granulated sugar and eggs until creamy.
  3. Add the chopped pecans, melted butter, milk, flour and vanilla extract.
  4. Stir to combine.
  5. Pour the mixture into the pie shell.
  6. Arrange the pecan halves on top of the pie in a circular pattern.
  7. Bake the pie for 55 mins.
  8. Check for doneness by shaking the pan slightly. * The pie should be firm with only a slight jiggle in the center *It will set more as it cools.
  9. Serve topped with vanilla ice cream or with a dollop of whipped cream.

Samantha Buxbaum, Events Director

NANTUCKET CORN PUDDING 

INGREDIENTS

• 8-10 ears fresh corn on the cob, or 5 cups canned corn, drained
  • 2 large eggs
  • 1 cup half and half
  • ½ teaspoon kosher salt
  • 1/8 teaspoon white pepper
  • Few grinds fresh nutmeg
  • ¾ cup crushed oyster crackers, divided (crush the crackers, then measure). Also see note above
  • 3 tablespoons melted butter, divided
  • ½ cup sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
  • Paprika

INSTRUCTIONS

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
  2. Cut corn from cob if using fresh corn and scrape right down to the cob saving the liquid that scrapes off with the corn kernels. You should have about 5 cups. Set aside. (Alternately, drain 5 cups of canned corn.)
  3. Butter a 9” round or square 9 X 2 ½“ deep casserole dish.
  4. In a large bowl beat eggs, cream, salt, pepper and nutmeg.
  5. Add corn, ½ cup of the cracker crumbs and 2 tablespoons of the melted butter.
  6. Pour the mixture into the prepared pan.
  7. Sprinkle all of the cheese over the top.
  8. Mix the remaining cracker crumbs with the remaining butter and sprinkle over the top.
  9. Dust with a little paprika.
  10. Bake 45-50 minutes or until puffed and golden brown. The edges will be crispy and the center a bit loose.
  11. Serve immediately.

Recipe and photo courtesy of Afamilyfeast.com. 

Happy Thanksgiving from the Her Campus FSU Executive Team!

Samantha is an Editing, Writing and Media major. She loves a good cup of coffee, a ruby red lip, roadtripping, and being a downright goof. She dreams to travel the world someday and write about all her adventures. But for now, she just really hopes she can just keep balancing everything at once.
Her Campus at Florida State University.