Career

Meet Emily Sanudo: Participant in Joshua’s Heart Foundation

Freshman Emily Sanudo is the former Junior Advisory Board Member of Joshua’s Heart Foundation. She is now an active adult participant and whenever she goes back home to Miami, she is there to instruct and lead the next generation of the Junior Advisory Board. She is studying pre-clinical professions, a member of Nole Med and Greek Life. It was a pleasure interviewing her and I cannot wait to see what is in store for her.

Her Campus (HC): Can you give a bit of information about Joshua’s Heart Foundation and what the mission is?

Emily Sanudo (ES): Joshua’s Heart Foundation is a 501(c) 3 non-profit youth-run organization whose mission is to stomp out world hunger. This Foundation serves to empower those to enhance their quality of life by giving people access to everyday life necessities. Joshua’s Heart was founded by Joshua himself when he was a little over 4 years old. His grandma had given him $20 and when he was sitting in the car, he saw someone with a sign outside stating that they were homeless. After seeing this, he asked his family questions regarding what he saw and he knew he wanted to make a difference. 

HC: What made you want to be a part of this foundation?

ES: The thought of this foundation being youth-run amazed me. I really liked this aspect of Joshua’s Heart because it is one of the only organizations in Miami where the youth are in charge of everything from planning to executing. When I went to the first event, all the members welcomed me with open arms and they made me feel included in all the activities. Also, they all encouraged me to apply to be on the board and wanted me to join them to further the mission of Joshua’s Heart.

HC: What have you done for this foundation?

ES: Throughout the four years that I volunteered with Joshua’s Heart, I was able to raise $9,000 for the foundation through the different events that I hosted. One of the biggest events I was in charge of was their annual Thanksgiving Grocery Distribution. I was able to get sponsors and donors to donate all the food distributed at the event. At this distribution we were able to feed over 500 families, providing them with a well-balanced Thanksgiving meal. In addition, I was able to fulfill all my duties as Vice-Chair by planning all the meeting agendas. I also served as a face for this foundation so I had the opportunity to travel with the chair and the founder, Joshua. I was able to speak at St. Louis University’s Entrepreneurship Summer Program and at a Rotary Youth Leadership Award Conference in Wisconsin.

Courtesy: 3PM Media Photography 

HC: How long have you been a part of it? What do you do now as an active adult member?

ES: I started my freshman year of high school as a Junior Advisory Board (JAB) member. After that, I was elected to be the assistant treasurer in my junior year and then had the opportunity to be the Vice-Chair of the foundation during my senior year. As an adult member, I continue to live up to the mission of this organization. I still continue to stay connected with the foundation so when I’m back in Miami I can give my time. From Tallahassee, I continue to help with their Thanksgiving Grocery Distribution by helping them find donors to provide all the groceries that will be given out the day of the event.

HC: Being the former Vice-Chair, what do you hope now for the next board to accomplish?

ES: As the former vice chair, I hope the next board accomplishes all their goals and desires for this school year. I hope this board continues to spread the amazing mission of this organization and continues to get more and more volunteers to join the Junior Advisory Board.

Be sure to check out more about Joshua’s Heart Foundation here. If interested in supporting Joshua’s Heart Foundation, you may donate or volunteer at the hyperlink above. As for keeping up with Emily and her assistance with stomping out world hunger, be sure to follow her Instagram here.

Want to see more HCFSU? Be sure to like us on Facebook and follow us on Instagram, Twitter and Pinterest!

Victoria Cardoso is an Editing, Writing, and Media major at Florida State University. When she’s not writing for Her Campus FSU, she’s probably watching Harry Potter, reading a book, or eating a slice of pizza.