Meet Campus Cutie and Tallahassee Native John Amiss

John and I met through the SGA agency the Hispanic/Latino Student Union (or HLSU for short). Being that both of our respective organizations are members of HLSU, we were bound to run into each other often! Over Starbucks and funny stories, we got to know each other and I am grateful to have a friend like him. John is probably the sweetest guy I know and he’s a real gentleman. Whether that’s holding open my door, waiting in long lines at Chick-fil-a with me even if he’s not eating, or helping me maneuver house party terrain, John is a real class act.

Major: International Affairs and Criminology

Year: Senior

Hometown: Tallahassee, FL

Relationship Status: Single

Her Campus (HC): So what made you want to go to FSU?

John Amiss (JA): Although I’m from Tallahassee and it looked like an easy option, I came from Tallahassee Community College, but I’ve always wanted to go to FSU. FSU has a great school spirit and it just got into me. I couldn’t have gone to UF or UCF or anywhere else.

HC: What’s your favorite thing about FSU?

JA: I’d say just the camaraderie you feel with other students. You’re all in the same place at the same time in your lives experiencing the same things. You’re going through the same stages and troubles but also triumphs and it really brings you together with other people. Life wouldn’t be anything without friendship and human connection so that’s what I enjoy most.

HC: What’s your least favorite thing?

JA: Parking!

HC: What are you involved in on campus?

JA: I am the Vice-President of Por Colombia (previously known as the Colombian Student Association, or “ColSA”). I’m also involved in InternatioNOLE which is a group for international and FSU students to connect and give them a home away from home on campus.

HC: What do you look for in a woman?

JA: I look for confidence, for one. A very confident woman who doesn’t need a man but wants a man to compliment her life. And also a woman who is very happy. I like very happy women, women who smile a lot. Smiling is a big deal. I like a woman who, when she smiles, you can tell she has a lot of life in her.

HC: What’s your pet peeve or peeves?

JA: Rudeness. Someone who is stuck up or rude is the biggest pet peeve of mine.

HC: Where is your favorite place to hang out on campus?

JA: In front of Strozier.

HC: What’s your average day like?

JA: Lots of coffee in the morning. I need an hour, at least, to wake up. Look at the news a little bit. Classes at the beginning of the day, in the early evening I study or do homework, and then later at night I’ll hang out with friends and go out dancing or see a movie.

HC: What’s your favorite place to go out to?

JA: Coliseum on a Saturday night or Proof any night of the week.

HC: What is your favorite kind of music?

JA: House music, EDM, and I don’t really like gloomy music. I like romantic music too.

Her Campus at Florida State University.