puppy in bed
puppy in bed
Leah Abounader

Meet Bear: A Little Maltese with a Lot of Attitude

College is a time for independence, and with that independence comes the joy (and stress) of making your own decisions. One of those decisions may be getting a puppy. This is a quick recap of the first week with our dog Polar Bear, but you can just call her Bear.

To clear things up really quick, she’s technically NOT my dog; she belongs to my roommate. But hey, she lives with me, and I’ve picked her poop off of the carpet on multiple occasions. At this point, we’re basically bonded for life.

Bear is an eight-week-old Maltese with lemon ears (this means that her ears are a darker shade of white compared to the rest of her body). Her favorite toy is her pee pad, even though she has actual dog toys lying all around the apartment. If you’re too tall for her liking, she will bark at you until you go down to her level, which is about ankle height. We’ve had her for about three weeks now, and she’s turning into a really good girl! That first week, though, was probably one of the hardest in terms of training and learning how to take care of her.

white puppy
Leah Abounader

One of the harder parts of that week was deciding what kind of schedule she would be on and where she would stay when we all were out of the apartment. My roommates and I decided to keep her in her crate in the living room when no one is home so that she doesn’t get tempted to roam around and pee everywhere while we’re gone.

Speaking of her potty situation, we strategically placed two pee pads in the kitchen and living room of the apartment so that she could always make it to the bathroom. But I think she sees them more like toys rather than her toilet because she tends to pee on the carpet and play on the pad when it should definitely be the other way around. Honestly, potty training has got to be one of the more frustrating parts of being a dog owner. I am a die-hard cat lady and potty training is consisted of showing them where the litter box is and going on my merry way. So, for me, actually having to be conscious of where she is at all times is a major change.

puppy under blanket
Leah Abounader

Although Bear has come with a lot of frustration, I wouldn’t trade her for the world. Every time my roommates and I walk into the apartment, she is always happy to see us and begs for us to play with her. She has made college feel a lot more like home for all of us, and she is truly worth all of the work that goes into training her.

If anyone is considering getting a puppy, please do your research and see if you can really handle the lifestyle. The reason why we can handle a puppy is that we have three people on rotation watching her and playing with her. If you can’t give a puppy the attention they need, or you can’t take them home with you because your parents won’t allow it, please do not get one! If you think you can take care of a furry friend, try looking into local shelters and see if there is a dog for you!

In the meantime, go follow Bear on Instagram @misslemonears!

Want to see more HCFSU? Be sure to like us on Facebook and follow us on Instagram, Twitter and Pinterest!

Leah Abounader is a Senior at Florida State University double majoring in Information, Communication, and Technology and Editing, Writing, and Media. She loves all things tech design and is obsessed with live music.
Her Campus at Florida State University.