Meet Alexis Rojas: Grad Student Paving Her Way

Alexis Rojas is a professor at FSU and is an exemplary model for a strong woman who works hard to achieve her goals and help others through her craft. She would describe herself as a Christian, wife, mother, teacher and a student, in that order. Her core values and overall who she is as an individual stem from the first three things.

Before working at FSU, she worked as a legislative analyst for the supreme court for seven years. Her role included developing arguments, as well as drafting policies and amendments for judges to present to sponsors. This job is truly a team effort, and she thoroughly enjoyed her work in D.C. She enjoyed it so much that it inspired her to continue to remain within the parameter of this field. Aside from teaching, she has started up her own non-profit organization called the Tallahassee Pediatrics Behavioral Health Center, which is a part of a larger organization called Whole Child Leon. After getting her second master’s degree in Social Work, she now operates as a Social Worker. Alexis expressed that her time spent in politics influenced her to continue in this field. Having previously worked on such a macro level, creating packages for different types of people that affected the entire state, she felt like she lacked a bit of understanding relating to the personal effect on each client. “There’s a disconnect between policy and practice. I wanted to understand the field more intimately,” she says.

Courtesy: Pictaram Club 

Making use of her experience in the policy world, she was easily able to find her niche, settling into working with children. Through being a social worker, Alexis realized she wanted to take herself to the next level, which she believes is becoming a psychologist; being at the top of the totem pole. She believes that “moving through life stages is part of who we are as humans. It is all part of one greater experience.” In her future, after getting her Ph.D. in psychology and counseling, she ultimately plans to start working for the American Psychological Association (APA). Having spent time really learning and getting to know both sides in this field are what’s going to help her grow in her practice and perform better. She is a firm believer that without good policy, you can’t have good practitioners, that it’s not possible to have one without the other.

Alexis says that although she faces challenges that can be emotionally exhausting at times, she’s able to keep her head on straight by having her own burn-out prevention plan. Family always comes first for her and taking time for her own emotional relief is necessary. Overall, having a good work-life balance where you’re able to separate your personal emotions from your client’s emotions is crucial. Creating those boundaries is key to succeeding and avoiding as much stress as possible.

Alexis currently teaches at FSU while being part of the graduate program. She thoroughly enjoys this because she’s able to diversify her abilities and allow for potential career growth. Through her course, teaching others about communicating and human relations, she hopes her students are able to walk away knowing they have the tools to be as successful as they hope to be. Through goal setting, prioritizing, reflecting and not being resistant to change, they’ll become the best versions of themselves. In her class, something she preaches is that in order to be a good communicator, you have to go into every conversation like you have something to learn. Listening is key, and your nonverbal actions are just as important as your verbal actions.

Alexis Rojas is a dedicated, intelligent and warm-hearted person. She holds poise and can shift from being professional in the workplace, to loving at home with her family. She is a great example of the principle that you can do anything so long as you put your mind to it.

Katarina is a senior at Florida State University studying Creative Writing with a double minor in Education and Communications. You can find her at your local library reading a good book or writing for her blog https://katarinamartinez13.wixsite.com/kmartinezreads As an aspiring novelist and content writer, she is always looking to spread love and joy everywhere she goes.
Her Campus at Florida State University.