Meet Alex Dishman – President Of The Club Softball Team

Name: Alex Dishman

Year: Senior

Major: English with a focus in Editing Writing, and Media

Hometown: Lake Worth, FL

Her Campus (HC): When did you first start playing softball, and what about it do you love the most?

Alex Dishman (AD): I started playing softball when I was 7 years old. I love being part of a team with a group of people who share the same interests as me and being in a competitive situation.

HC: What does being a part of a team mean to you? What does it mean to be the leader of a team?

AD: Being part of a team means having a group of people that will always be there to cheer me up and congratulate me when I do well but help me when I make mistakes. It means having a group of friends I can always rely on and hang with and win or lose with. Being the leader means that I am responsible for the whole team and that everyone looks up to me to guide them and help them. It means responsibility.

HC: What are the responsibilities of the president of the club softball team?

AD: I have to make sure all paperwork is completed not only through the school but also through the national club softball association. It’s organizing practices and tournaments and fundraisers, it’s making sure the entire team and seasons runs smooth and making sure we win. It’s about giving my 100% dedication to this club and putting it before anything else.

HC: How do you get the girls pumped up before a big game?

AD: Tell them they are awesome and can do it and that we are a great solid team and then we do our cheer. We’re all pretty pumped before the games…we don’t usually need any help getting more pumped.

HC: What is the biggest challenge you’ve faced as president?

AD: So far it has been separating friendships from the field and keeping in mind that not everyone will be happy with every decision but I am in charge and it is my job to do what’s best for the team and not individuals. Also, it’s a lot of paperwork so it been hard to manage that stress on top of my classes. It’s like having an extra class!

HC: What are three words of advice for girls looking to try out for the club softball team?

AD: Be open-minded. Be committed. Have fun.

Emily Brooks is a Junior at The Florida State University. She is an English major with a focus in Editing, Writing, and Media with a minor in Communications. Born and raised in Pensacola, Florida, she has a deep-rooted love for slow-cooked Southern food. She has a passion for journalism and hopes to continue her career in the broadcast field as a TV reporter. Her ultimate goal is to become a part of the great team at ABC World News with Diane Sawyer. As a true 'Noles fan from the start, she bleeds garnet and gold and can be found at every sporting event. Along with writing, she also shares a passion for music. A strong love for the oldies has her convinced she was born a generation too late. In the Summer of 2014 her passion for writing continued abroad as she studied journalism in Valencia, Spain for one semester. You can find her travel blog here: http://emilybrooksfsu.blogspot.com.tr/
Her Campus at Florida State University.