Abby Gleason
Abby Gleason
Photo by Maddy Gleason

Meet Abby Gleason: Blog Director for CMA at FSU

Starting a new school year with COVID-19 has proved challenging, especially with trying to find new clubs to join to meet new people with similar interests. This week I got the chance to interview Abby Gleason, a junior at Florida State University studying Retail Entrepreneurship, and Blog Director for the Collegiate Merchandising Association (CMA) fashion club at FSU. With a new segment being brought to CMA I asked Abby some questions about her own experience.

Her Campus (HC): What is CMA?

Abby Gleason (AG): CMA is the largest fashion club at FSU, where students can meet and collaborate with others who have similar interests as them. It is a mix of different majors, cultures and individuals coming together to appreciate fashion.

HC: Does your major correlate to what CMA is?

AG: Yes! Although CMA is open to anyone from any major, most members of CMA are studying Retail Entrepreneurship, and since most of us are taking the same classes, we can discuss further things we learned in class. Personally, I am on the Merchandising track, so, for me, CMA goes with my major in a way that I can utilize merchandising skills in real life.

HC: What does CMA do for you?

AG: CMA is a great way to meet people with the same interests and to network with other students. Personally, I think it is a great way to gain leadership experience and skills from a club that has to do with my desired career path. It has also helped me learn more about the retail world outside of a classroom.

HC: What is your favorite part of CMA?

AG: My favorite part of CMA is going to meetings and doing fun projects! Looking back, my favorite project we did last year was probably when we printed pictures and created mood boards. It was a creative outlet that allowed me to see my own aesthetics on a board. Everyone was able to collaborate even when making our own mood boards, and it was fun to get to meet others in the club with the same interests and fashion sense as me!

Desk with computer and notebooks
Photo by Arnel Hasanovic from Unsplash

HC: I know there’s a blog segment launching soon and that you’ll be the director. What are some things you’ve done to create it?

AG: My sister Maddy and I are both in charge of the blog! So far, we have started brainstorming different topics for our writers to write about, what host website we will use, and how members can apply to be a writer for the blog. We will be posting on Instagram soon how people can apply to the blog if anyone is interested!

HC: What would you tell people about CMA who don’t know about it?  

AG: I would tell people that CMA is a great way to get involved at FSU and network with people interested in retail. It can also offer opportunities for those who want to work in retail; for example, CMA has done tours at Target to look at the behind-the-scenes with buying and store operations.

If you are interested in learning more about/joining the CMA you can find information here OR check out their Instagram

Want to see more HCFSU? Be sure to like us on Facebook and follow us on Instagram, Twitter and Pinterest!

A Korean American Retail Entrepreneurship Major from Fort Lauderdale, FL. My interests change constantly and have me learning new things to share!
Her Campus at Florida State University.