On Sep. 20, Marvel released the trailer for its newest series, WandaVision. The trailer begins by resembling an older black and white film style as characters Wanda and Vision are shown entering their suburban home after they have been married. They are initially dressed in clothing that is indicative of older decades like the 1950s. For some fans, it is clear that these two superheroes are trying to fit in with the stereotypical suburban lifestyle of that time period, at least at first. They do daily activities like going to work and hosting dinner parties with the neighbors. However, in efforts not to raise suspicion about their superhuman powers, Wanda changes Vision’s appearance as he heads off to work so that he can look more human. She even states in the trailer, “This is our home now, I want us to fit in.”

However, not everything is as black and white as it seems. About halfway through the trailer, there is a stark shift as the video moves from black and white to color and the picture becomes more clear. Wanda and Vision’s clothing becomes more modern and they are shown depicting styles from different decades. In the trailer, both Wanda and Vision seem confused about how it is possible that their world is changing so drastically around them. 

One big question still remains: how is Vision’s appearance in the show possible? In Infinity War, a previous Marvel movie, Vision had been killed by Thanos, the overarching villain of the plot. So how is it that he is supposed to be one of the main characters in a new series? Is he still dead or has he been resurrected? While normally the latter would be out of the question, it has been made abundantly clear by Marvel that we don’t know the full extent of Wanda’s powers. She has already proven that she has the ability to manipulate time and space, as can be seen in Avengers: Age of Ultron when she gets into the minds of the original avengers and makes them see their worst nightmares. It would not be out of the question to think that she had resurrected her dead boyfriend in order to be with him in this new world that she has created, some fans argue. In fact, some fans think she might have created this new world without even realizing it in order to cope with her loss when Vision had died. She may not realize that this world she has made is not real, but is only a figment of her own imagination. 

Man using black remote control
Clément M.

But what will this mean for the rest of the Marvel Cinematic Universe (MCU)? Many fans agree that people can’t go around creating new universes without any repercussions, especially in the MCU where everything is always interconnected. However, Marvel is known for setting up plotlines years in advance. This WandaVision series further introduces the ideas of the manipulation of time and space, and a world with multiple different universes could be the foundation that leads into one of Marvel’s later movies, Doctor Strange in the Multiverse of Madness, which is set to be released sometime after the WandaVision series. 

Want to see more HCFSU? Be sure to like us on Facebook and follow us on Instagram, Twitter and Pinterest!

Hi everyone I'm Emma! I am a freshman at Florida State University. I don't quite know my major yet but I love writing which is why I decided to join Her Campus. I love going on adventures and seeing all that the world has to offer.
Her Campus at Florida State University.