Culture > News

Many Stars Continue To Speak Out Against Rise in Asian Hate Crimes

Anti-Asian sentiments, attacks and policies have had a prominent effect on the lives of individuals of Asian descent in the U.S. as late as the 19th century. One of the most blatantly racist and xenophobic acts was the Chinese Exclusion Act of 1882, which halted all immigration from China and lasted for many years. Negative prejudices and treatment of Asians within the United States would persist and evolve into new and sometimes even more harmful forms. Unfortunately, this statement is more relevant than ever with the rise of hate crimes against Asians after the outbreak of a pandemic originating from East Asia.

COVID-19 began to make global headlines at the beginning of the year 2020. It being a highly contagious virus that affects the respiratory system and could easily lead to death was enough to strike fear into the hearts of many. That fear would go on to be warranted as the virus spread to the entire world and kill off millions. However, perhaps one of the most damaging side effects of such a horrific situation, the coronavirus also manifested a unique kind of pain for the Asian community. Because of its origins in Wuhan, China, and prowess for destroying any semblance of life as it was post-pandemic, many Asians have been verbally and physically targeted for “causing” the coronavirus. One of the most infamous public figures to push such a narrative was none other than former U.S. President Donald J. Trump. Within many speeches and at many rallies, Trump enthusiastically referred to COVID-19 as the “the China virus.” On more creative occasions, Trump would also refer to the virus as the “Kung flu.” When xenophobic and racist words were not enough, many turned to violence to let out their frustrations or perhaps act on an ideology that had been waiting for an excuse to manifest itself physically. Many individuals of Asian descent, including the elderly, have been subject to acts of physical violence which includes but is not limited to kicking, pushing, punching, and even slashing. Just recently, the mass shooting of three separate Asian-owned businesses at the hands of a white gunman, which lead to eight fatalities, reignited the Asian community’s need to fight back.

crowd of protesters against Asian hate
Photo by Jason Leung from Unsplash

Hundreds of people, both Asians and non-Asians, took to the streets to show condemnation towards all forms of Anti-Asian discourse, images and acts of violence. Many Asian celebrities chimed in to show their support and even talk about their own experiences with hate directed towards the Asian community. Sandra Oh, famous for her starring role in the hit show Grey’s Anatomy, joined a rally in Pittsburgh to express that she was proud to be Asian. She also talked about the Asian community’s tendency to silence themselves when it came to the issues they faced. “For many of us in our community, this is the first time we are even able to voice our fear and our anger, and I really am so grateful to everyone willing to listen.” Asian athletes, actors, spokespersons, comedians and musicians are just a few of the people who have come forwards to openly express their love for their community and their anger towards those who actively try to harm its members. Most recently, the superstar K-pop group BTS released an official statement in which they expressed their disapproval of racial discrimination and their grief on being the subject of such hatred. “We have endured expletives without reason and were mocked for the way we look. We were even asked why Asians spoke in English… these experiences were enough to make us feel powerless and chip away at our self-esteem. What is happening right now cannot be disassociated from our identity as Asian,” the message read. The joint statement released by these seven seemingly untouchable men is a testament to the fact that racist words and actions can cut through all and only bring devastation to this world. However, the boys finished their statement with one massage of hope: “You, I and we all have the right to be respected. We will stand together.”

Want to see more HCFSU? Be sure to like us on Facebook and follow us on Instagram, Twitter, TikTok, Youtube and Pinterest!

19. Proud Nole.
Her Campus at Florida State University.