Life > Experiences

Managing Long-Distance Relationships During a Pandemic: My Own Experience

Last December, my mother asked if I wanted to go to Toronto, Canada, for a week and visit my family and friends. We moved to America when I was 11, and every single summer (and recently every winter) we have gone back to visit the friends and family we left behind. And although it had been six months since I had gone back to visit, the comfort of being in my own home after being away at college was too great to pass up, and the thought of having to travel internationally seemed too overwhelming, so I said no. 

Every now and then, I think back on this decision and realize how quickly I would have chosen to go had I known that I would have no idea when I could go again.

The COVID-19 pandemic has had an unprecedented impact on people who have family and friends living in other countries. This summer was the first in 19 years that I had not been able to go home, and being away from those family and friends for so long broke my heart and made me truly realize the privilege I once had to go back and see them regularly.

Other friends of mine had similar stories. Friends that have family living all over the world and have no idea when they will be able to go back and reunite with them. Similarly, many people that may have elderly relatives that live nearby are still avoiding family, as the risk of spreading the virus to them is too great to take.

Woman sitting on a bench
Photo by Ryan McGuire from Pixabay

For me, at the beginning of the pandemic, I was optimistic about the future of international travel and was hoping that by the summer, I would be able to go back. But sadly, like so many of us, my optimism quickly faded, and the only thing I was left with was the sad realization that I can only wonder when I will go back. Even back home in Florida, my family has been isolated from our other relatives and is making for a bleak lead up to the holiday season. 

Facetime, texting, phone calls and emails can only get you so far, and it often seems hard to remember that there was a time when you could hug your loved ones without fear and see friends without guilt. 

After years of moving and being away from Canada, you would think I would have this whole “long-distance” thing down. But it is one thing to leave and know you will be able to go back, and quite another to wish for a day when you will return. 

For many of us, this time has felt very isolating, and with the impending holiday season, the feeling of isolation and sadness may become overwhelming and harder to ignore. It is important that we cherish the little things and try to keep our long-held traditions alive, even if they do not feel the same. 

It is also important to remember that as much as you may miss your family and friends, they miss you too.  And although a text may not make up for the lost time, it will allow you to find comfort with the ones you love and hope for a better future.

Want to see more HCFSU? Be sure to like us on Facebook and follow us on Instagram, Twitter, TikTok, Youtube and Pinterest!

Alexandra Straumann is a junior at Florida State University double majoring in Criminology and Political Science. She is so excited to be apart of HerCampus FSU and explore her passion for writing and cannot wait to see what HerCampus has in store; happy reading! instagram: @alex_straumann