FSU?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
FSU?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
Photo by FSU for HCM / Design by Her Campus Media
Wellness

Making the Switch to a More Environmentally-Friendly College Lifestyle at FSU

Presented by Garnier x Her Campus

As a college student, finding affordable, environmentally friendly, and dermatologist-approved beauty products can be a challenge. However, Garnier is forging new paths within the beauty industry in their dedication to creating greener beauty products. In their #OneGreenStep campaign, Garnier is committed to greener beauty with formulas made with 99% vegan ingredients that are approved by Cruelty Free International and committed to a goal of 100% recycled plastic by 2025. Additionally, Garnier encourages their consumers to partake in sustainability practices alongside the brand. The brand has called on consumers to take #OneGreenStep of their own, and I’m here to answer that call by sharing my top tips for a more environmentally friendly college lifestyle.

Get involved in sustainable activities

As a way to give back to our community, HCFSU is partnering with Garnier to implement some of these environmentally friendly initiatives into our daily lives and give back to the FSU community by hosting sustainably-focused activities around campus! In fact, Her Campus at FSU would love for you to be part of our Thrift Swap on April 21! This event allows students to drop off old clothes they were planning to donate or throw away, while others can “shop” through them. Getting ready to move out? Going through your closet for some Spring Cleaning decluttering? Bring your clothes down to our Thrift Swap! After the event, we will donate any spare clothes left to a thrift store to prevent waste. Keep an eye out on Her Campus FSU’s socials for details to follow. We hope to see you there!

Use Garnier Products

The Garnier Sleek & Shine Shampoo and Conditioner is designed to control frizzy hair for up to 72 hours, keeping hair visibly sleek and shiny, even in weather conditions of up to 97 percent humidity – which is perfect for all the FSU girlies trying to compete with Florida’s wildly unpredictable weather! The products contain clean ingredients such as argan oil and plant keratin-based amino acids, which are already found in your hair! 

Another fave product is the Garnier Micellar Cleansing Water, which is a great eco-friendly alternative to makeup wipes. The damaging impact of makeup wipes on both the environment and your skin barrier makes the Micellar Water a must-have for any beauty lover’s collection. And, with a typical Tally day starting with bright skies, by 3 p.m. you can expect an unwelcome rain storm to greet you after class. So, for those who wear waterproof eye makeup, the Micellar Cleansing Water is a great solution – especially because it doubles as both a makeup remover and facial cleanser.

Just as the Micellar Cleansing Water is a better alternative to makeup wipes, the Micellar Reusable Clean Eco pads are a great alternative to cotton pads. They’re easy to clean and reuse, which helps reduce unnecessary waste! They’re also much more gentle on the skin than traditional cotton pads, so your skin will be thanking you.

Do your part

Some ways we’re taking sustainable initiatives here at HCFSU include saving energy, buying more responsibly and reducing waste to limit our overall carbon footprint. By turning off the lights before leaving for class and switching desk lamps over to LED bulbs, energy consumption can be greatly reduced. Buying responsibly – such as shopping at the plethora of local thrift stores Tallahassee has to offer – is a more sustainable practice than hopping on every fashion micro-trend, as tempting as it is. And, carrying refillable water bottles, bringing your own tote or paper grocery bags, and buying from brands that implement recycled packaging products all contribute to reducing waste. 

These simple adjustments you can make right now while on-campus are all a part of a larger impact in becoming #OneStepGreener! Start making the switch to a greener lifestyle today with these small changes – Earth will thank you.

*footnote: no animal derived ingredients

This is a sponsored article. All opinions are 100% our own.

Paige McGuinn is a second year student at FSU studying Communication/Media Studies and Business. She loves writing about current events, pop culture and trends. With a passion for female empowerment, she is so excited to be a part of the Her Campus community!