As the resident beauty junkie in my friend group, I was always the girl who people came to for tips on what products to buy, and rightfully so considering I spent way too much time researching skincare and makeup. I definitely have always known my way around Sephora and could tell you about pretty much any product on the shelves, largely because I’ve always taken the time to look through reviews and ingredients. So, when Sephora suddenly launched a “clean” line followed by their clean by Sephora stamp, I became curious about what all of this meant. 

The honest company products
The Honest Company

After an extensive amount of research, I became aware of the fact that a lot of the products we use on a day to day basis are charged with harmful chemicals that are not only irritating to our skin but can affect us hormonally. This was a big red flag for me considering that’s an issue I’ve always dealt with. While at first, it was really hard for me to part with some of the products that I’d become used to repurchasing (everyone who knows me knows that I was practically married to my YSL touche eclat concealer), I kept reminding myself that in the grand scheme of things, I was doing the right thing for my skin. 

I’m not one who likes to be wasteful so I made this a very gradual process and began to replace products in my routine as they would run out so I could take the time to do proper research and make sure I was purchasing the right products. A lot of my research process consisted of watching youtube reviews and using the “Think Dirty” app which breaks down the ingredients in products and rates them on a scale from clean to dirty. It’s definitely been a bit of a struggle having to find new things that work with my skin but fortunately, the beauty industry has adapted well to the new wave of clean beauty and there are numerous options out there. I’ve been able to discover some of my new favorite brands like Necessaire which is a body care brand that has the most luxurious body products that are filled with ingredients like vitamins and oils that you can actually pronounce.

Woman Lying on White Textile With Sliced Cucumbers on Her Eyes
Breakingpic from Pexels

For anyone who’s interested in getting into clean beauty but skeptical about making the switch, I would definitely say to go for it.  Do your research about all the benefits that come from using products that aren’t filled with harmful chemicals like parabens and artificial fragrance. There’s a whole entire world of clean beauty brands that work beautifully and are actually good for your skin, all it takes is you making the effort to think consciously about what you’re putting on your face and body.

Want to see more HCFSU? Be sure to like us on Facebook and follow us on Instagram, Twitter and Pinterest!

Student at Florida State University studying political science and philosophy.
Her Campus at Florida State University.