As the warm weather creeps up on us and spring break approaches, many of us are itching for a relaxing beach day, and after all of those stressful midterms and study sessions, I’d say we deserve it. While there are so many great things about our campus and Tallahassee in general, I think we can all agree that there’s one thing we might be seriously lacking. Yep, you guessed it- a decent beach. While it’s true that many of us didn’t choose FSU for the beachfront property, many of us originate from coastal towns, accustomed to the warm sand and feisty seagulls, a far cry from Tallahassee scenery. Sure, it’s possible to drive a few hours to get our waterfront fix, but if you’re feeling adventurous, consider a different approach! One of Florida State’s “hidden gems,” The Reservation, located on Lake Bradford, is quite possibly the closest thing we’ve got. Offering a multitude of outdoor activities, and yes, even a quaint little beach, this five-minute destination is free for Florida State students and definitely worth checking out. 

Camp Flastacowo was founded in 1920 by the social director of the Florida State College for Women, Mrs. S.L. Cawthon. Getting its name from the first few letters of the Florida State College for Women, the area was renamed “The Reservation” upon the transition from an all women’s school to Florida State University. Over the years, “The Rez” has become a Florida State tradition, providing students with various recreational activities and a space to relax.

With all activities free to Florida State students, try something new! Never been paddle boarding before? The Rez offers paddle boards, kayak, canoe rentals, and even sailing lessons. For those who prefer being on dry land, The Rez also offers a rock-climbing wall, beach volleyball court, and sandy area perfect for getting your tan on. 

Staying in Tallahassee for Spring Break? Grab a girlfriend, a cute bathing suit, and a picnic lunch. You just can’t beat the proximity and the price of The Rez. 

Although only five minutes away from campus, a lack of transportation has left many students unable to discover all that The Rez has to offer. Beginning this year, FSU has implemented a bus service, shuttling students from the St. Augustine Parking garage right to the front gate of The Rez. Depending on their seasonal hours, the shuttle runs primarily from noon to 6:30pm. Here’s the full Rec Ride Shuttle schedule and for directions from the FSU campus to the FSU Reservation click here.

This spring, the FSU reservation will be conducting job interviews for summer camp counselor positions at Camp Flastacowo, a summer camp held at the reservation for children ages 8-16. Applicants must be CPR certified and willing to work from 7:30am to 6:00pm for the full eight-week program. Providing all the same recreational activities available to FSU students as well as arts and crafts and outdoor education, Camp Flastacowo is a great summer job opportunity for FSU students. For a complete list of summer camp job opportunities click here.

Sarah Shellabarger is a senior at Florida State University, majoring in English - Editing, Writing, Media and minoring in Communications. This is her third semester as a HCFSU staff writer. When she's not drowning in assigned readings, Sarah enjoys attempting to get celebrities to follow her on Twitter, daily Dunkin Donuts trips, praising Stevie Nicks, and (unsuccesfully) begging her boyfriend to buy her a kitten. Sarah hopes to one day put her witty banter to good use by writing for a clever yet underappreciated TV show, and eventually becoming the next Tina Fey.    
Her Campus at Florida State University.