I’ve never written a love letter before, but I’ve always wanted to (I blame Nicholas Sparks). So, I figured writing a love letter to my favorite organization seemed like a good start! Although this isn’t a traditional love letter, it only seems fitting to write an article about why I love this online magazine and organization so much.

Ever since I can remember, especially during high school, I was always hesitant and scared to show my true interests. Although I did not come from a small town, I did come from a small high school. Everybody knew everybody, which I couldn’t decide if I liked the idea or not at the time. The whole “be yourself” mantra we would hear all the time didn’t hit me until I started college. And until I started writing for Her Campus at Florida State University (FSU).

When I first got to Tallahassee, I knew I wanted to be a part of an organization that represented my interests. Her Campus caught my eye in the very beginning. I mean, the idea of being published frequently and writing whatever you wanted was very appealing. Growing up, I felt most of the organizations I joined felt sort of censored and had so many limitations; it was a bit tedious to express yourself if you wanted to. I knew this would be a step out of my comfort zone, considering people would have access to my writing with a click of a button, but I was excited! 

Because of Her Campus FSU, I have been more confident in my writing and myself. Being an avid reader and an English major, people automatically assume I’m comfortable with my work, in terms of my writing, but it took me a while to feel remotely okay with sharing my work. I always felt and sometimes still feel that there is something I can change to make my work more complete. I’ve gotten better with being more comfortable with sharing my writing because of this organization.

a person writing down something on a piece of paper
Photo by Green Chameleon from Unsplash
When I first joined my freshman year, I noticed it was encouraged to post your articles on your socials to gain more exposure for yourself and the website. At first, I was scared to have my Instagram followers see what I was writing about, but I knew I wanted to share because maybe someone would be interested in what I write about. Now, I share almost every single article I write on my Instagram and Facebook. It’s always great to get that message from someone who connected with your article in some way and had to tell you!

I also have met so many amazing women who inspire me every day. Shout out to my current editor and all of my past editors for their helpful feedback and for pushing me to continue this writing journey. I plan to remain an active member in Her Campus until my very last day on FSU’s campus. I’m very excited to continue to grow as a writer in this organization and to see what’s in store for me next.

Want to see more HCFSU? Be sure to like us on Facebook and follow us on Instagram, TwitterTikTokYoutube and Pinterest!

Victoria Cardoso is an Editing, Writing, and Media major at Florida State University. When she’s not writing for Her Campus FSU, she’s probably watching Harry Potter, reading a book, or eating a slice of pizza.