Louis Tomlinson’s New Music Video Has Me and Every Other Fan in Tears

The time has finally come – a new Louis Tomlinson single and music video. Tomlinson has been hinting about a new video for the last few months, but no one had any idea what to expect from it. When the song was first released in early March, fans knew that it was about his mother, Johannah Deakin, who died from Leukemia in 2016. A few days after the song’s release though, Tomlinson’s younger sister Félicité Tomlinson died from a suspected heart attack. When the song was first released Tomlinson released a statement: “I just feel like musically, I almost needed to get this song off my chest. People say writing is a part of therapy and in a way, I feel like I’d been avoiding writing this song because I knew I only had one chance to get it right. I don’t mean to be too soppy about it, but if ‘Two of Us’ can help just one other person who’s going through the tough time that I went through, then that would make me really happy.” Even though a lyric video was released with the song, the former One Direction member went one step farther and helped an 83-year-old man, named Richard, complete his bucket list. In December of 2016, Richard lost his wife to Alzheimer’s, the same time Tomlinson lost his mother. 

Excuse me while I cry my eyes out.

Courtesy: Giphy

Richard’s bucket list was:

1. Fly a helicopter

Courtesy: YouTube

Have you ever seen anything so pure?

2. Drive a racecar

Courtesy: YouTube

Can you hear my screams?

3. Get a Tattoo

Courtesy: YouTube

He wasn’t actually sold on this one, but Louis let Richard give him one. That crying you hear? Yeah, that’s me.

4. Ride a rollercoaster

Courtesy: YouTube

They held hands for most of the ride. I’m screaming through the tears.

Before their days together were through, Louis had a big surprise for Richard. Throughout his life, Richard had many professions, from taxi driver to actor, but one thing that stuck with him was his love of singing. Louis gave him an opportunity to do what he loves. It was the final thing they did together.

5. Perform in an arena

Courtesy: YouTube

He was amazing also!!! Like wow!!!

The music video ended with a lyric from Tomlinson’s song, “I will hold you where my heart is, one life for the two of us.” That was the one lyric that made me sob into oblivion. After the lyrics, there were links to donate to the Alzheimer’s Society, Cancer Research UK and Bluebell Wood Children’s Hospice.

This video and song are a reminder that celebrities go through the same hurt and loss that we do, but they aren’t allowed to show it because of the stigma surrounding them and their emotions.

Please treat celebrities like you would treat your friends and understand that they are human too and that they hurt as much as, and probably more than, we do.

Nicole van der Sommen is a Junior studying Editing, Writing & Media at Florida State University. She loves taco nights with her friends and changes her hair color more than she changes shoes. She loves reading Harry Potter (for the billionth time) and to knit, often.
Her Campus at Florida State University.