Culture > News

A Look Into the Celebration of Life for Kobe and Gianna Bryant

It has been nearly a month since the world lost nine souls, among them NBA legend Kobe Bryant and his daughter, Gianna. On Feb. 24, thousands of people gathered at the Staples Center in Los Angeles, along with millions watching live across the world, to pay tribute to Kobe and the victims of the crash. The ceremony featured performances and words from Kobe and Gianna’s family, friends and heroes. 

The ceremony commenced with a tribute performance from Beyoncé, in which she honored Kobe and Gianna with her songs “XO” and “Halo.” Jimmy Kimmel presided over the ceremony and said, “It seems to me that all we can do is be grateful for the time we had with them and the time we have left with each other.”

Perhaps the biggest and most heart-wrenching moment of the event was Vanessa Bryant’s sentimental eulogy to her husband and daughter. In her memorialization of them, she described their charming and selfless characters and the love their family shared throughout their time together. When describing Kobe and Gianna’s inseparable bond, Vanessa remarked, “God knew they couldn’t be on this earth without each other; He had to bring them home together.”

Vanessa’s words were met with a roar of applause and a standing ovation. She was followed by Diana Taurasi, Sabrina Ionescu and UConn coach Geno Auriemma, all of which spoke about Kobe and Gianna’s admirable dedication to women’s basketball and their determination to empower the next generation in the sport of basketball. 

In between speakers, multiple photo and video montages were played and featured Kobe’s basketball highlights, family pictures and odes to Kobe’s legacy as an athlete, father, husband and artist. 

Michael Jordan broke the internet once again with another crying meme, which came about in the middle of his uplifting speech. Jordan spoke about the comparisons made between Kobe and himself, and how he saw a little brother in him. Shaquille O’Neal and Rob Pelinka both delivered emotional remarks focusing on their friendship with Kobe and how his actions were always centered around others, never selfish or self-seeking. 

The ceremony concluded with performances from Alicia Keys and Christina Aguilara, along with a screening of Kobe’s Academy Award Winning short film “Dear Basketball.” 

The entire ceremony lasted roughly two hours, which was not nearly enough time to honor a life that touched so many. All proceeds from ticket sales for the ceremony will be donated to the Mamba and Mambacita Sports Foundation, Kobe’s charity that aims to provide and equip children with skills and tools needed to cultivate leadership and opportunity in sports. 

Although a mournful afternoon and past few weeks, Kobe and Gianna’s celebration of life was filled with positivity, reverence and lots of love. In the wake of their loss, Kobe and Gianna’s presence is still felt deeply through the lives they touched and their indescribable legacy. 

You can watch the celebration of life here, and donate to the Mamba and Mambacita Sports Foundation.

Want to see more HCFSU? Be sure to like us on Facebook and follow us on InstagramTwitter and Pinterest!

Hi there! My name is Fran and I am a sophomore at Florida State University. I am a freelance blogger aside from being a full-time student and participating in campus activities and organizations. I am an aspiring influencer and hope to grow my audience to inspire people to embrace their individuality and share their stories. To see more of my work and passions follow me on instagram @francasaine and keep in touch!
Her Campus at Florida State University.