Culture > News

A Look into Bob Ross’ Legacy: “Happy Little Trees”

Simple things can be forgettable things unless you’re Bob Ross.

In 1983, the world got its first taste of Bob Ross when PBS premiered The Joy of Painting, an instructional painting show, featuring Ross as the show’s host. There has never been a better duo than a canvas and Bob Ross.

People were more interested in Ross’s personable yet utterly inspiring nature than learning how to paint. Generations, old and young, still feel the impact of his legacy with many people quoting his iconic phrase, “there are no mistakes, just happy accidents.”

Courtesy: Poster Foundry

The praise for Ross has not slowed down even after his death in 1995. The Department of Natural Resources in Michigan has kept his legacy alive by bringing more beauty into the world partnering with Bob Ross Inc. to plant “happy little trees” in their state parks.

You’re probably wondering how can you help plant these trees? Don’t worry, Michigan’s got that covered.

The program, “Happy Little Trees” is working with the Department of Corrections and their “prison grow” educational project to give inmates the opportunity to help raise trees for reforestation efforts and learn about the cultivation of plants. The program originally started in 2006 but has increased in popularity since the new name rebrand. This year up to 40 inmates joined in on this initiative by nurturing trees planted in 22 of the 103 state parks.

Since May, over 1,000 new native tree species have been planted to help replace any state park forestry that has been damaged or diseased. The community volunteers receive free “happy little tree” t-shirts as compensation, that alone got over 500 people to sign up. The shirts were such a hit that their website now sells them!

Courtesy: Smithsonian Magazine​

The parks commemorate Bob Ross by displaying signs with the words “Happy Little Trees Ahead” in Orchard Beach, Port Crescent and Yankee Springs parks. If you’re ever in Michigan definitely consider passing by a state park to enjoy some of Bob Ross in your life.

Want to see more HCFSU? Be sure to like us on Facebook and follow us on Instagram, Twitter, and Pinterest!

Janelle is a Mass Media Communications and International Affairs student at Florida State University. She loves binging youtube videos and can be seen watching anything from animation reviews to conspiracy theories. If you ever want to talk Film, Janelle is your gal.
Her Campus at Florida State University.