Lizzo was just named TIME’s Entertainer of the Year and we’re crying ‘cause we love her.

Courtesy: TIME

Between her chart-topping hits and recent sweep of Grammy nominations, 2019 has basically been the year of Lizzo. She is the voice behind several internet trends and bops that can be heard all across social media. Although practically everyone is now aware of the “Truth Hurts” singer, it has taken her quite some time to get to this level of stardom. 

Music has always been a large part of her life as she was a member of her high school’s marching band and even went on to attend the University of Houston to study classical flute performance. In 2011, Lizzo moved to Minneapolis at the age of 20 after the death of her father. With this new environment also came a kickstart with her involvement in the music scene. Her debut album entitled Lizzobangers was released in 2013 and then led her to collab with a variety of artists such as Prince and Bastille. Lizzo began releasing shorter sets of songs over the years and landed a signing with Atlantic Records in 2015. Her first major release was with The Coconut Oil EP which was then followed by her hit single “Truth Hurts” in 2017. Her final release was her most recent album ‘Cuz I Love You in April of 2019. This is also around the same time when she began to catch the attention of listeners all across the globe. 

Courtesy: TIME

In her interview with TIME, Lizzo reveals why she thinks now is the moment her music is starting to be recognized by a wide variety of audiences as opposed to the other years she has been involved with the music industry. “I’ve always been singing about the same sh*t, I just think that people were ready to hear it and also ready to receive it from someone like me.” With many of her lyrics surrounding themes of positivity and self-love, Lizzo and her music create a sense of empowerment for those listening. These feel-good tunes continue to build a community of support that’s based on these key aspects Lizzo continues to emphasize through her work.  Positivity has been an essential element in the sounds Lizzo has been creating for nearly a decade and will always remain a staple for her brand. Whether it be through her lyrics of encouraging listeners to recognize their worth and leave those who are holding them back or the inspirational speeches she gives to audiences at her live performances, being immersed in a world of empowerment is practically inevitable when entering into the realm of Lizzo.

Courtesy: Willamette Week

While an uplifting tone is what Lizzo always strives for when interacting and speaking with her audience, she also attempts to remain as candid as she can. Lizzo mentions, “There were times when I would go on stage and be like, ‘Y’all, I’m not going to lie. I’m not feeling myself.’ ” Relatability plays a large part in why many have begun to fall in love with the 31-year-old singer. Maintaining an open and honest relationship with those who admire her the most is a priority of Lizzo’s and reminds listeners that she is just as human as everyone else.

Whether it be through her outpouring of love and support or complete transparency and humble attitude, Lizzo has taken the world of entertainment by storm in 2019 and will continue to change the industry for many years to come.

Want to see more HCFSU? Be sure to like us on Facebook and follow us on Instagram, Twitter and Pinterest!

Christian Pruitt is a Senior at Florida State University, majoring in Digital Media Production. In her free time, Christian enjoys eating blue raspberry snow cones and exploring the town with some friends! She is a lover of all things pop culture and hopes to pursue a career in media one day.
Her Campus at Florida State University.