Liz Dorwart: Her Campus FSU’s New Co-Editor-in-Chief

Name: Liz Dorwart

Year: Junior

Major: Double Major in Editing, Writing, Media and Political Science

Hometown: Jacksonville, Florida

Her Campus (HC): How long have you been with HCFSU?

Liz Dowart (LD): I started at Her Campus as a writer spring 2017 when I was a sophomore. Then I became a content editor last Fall, which I love because I get to talk with the writers and together we can push out some great articles.

HC: What are some other organizations you are a part of on campus?

LD: I am a newly inducted brother of Phi Sigma Pi, a national honor fraternity here on campus. I’m also a tutor at the Reading-Writing Center where I get to help students with their papers and projects for school.

HC: What is your favorite thing about HCFSU?

LD: My favorite thing would definitely have to be the variety of topics that we cover. There are articles that cover politics, beauty, style and what’s happening around Tallahassee. Basically, if you want to read about it, we probably have an article about it.

HC: What are you most excited about when you become EIC?

LD: I’m so excited to see what new levels we can reach! We’re already a great publication, but I think each year with new ideas floating around, there is always something new to add. It’s going to be so fun to get to know all the girls on a new level and I can’t wait to see what everyone will bring to the table. Her Campus is all about empowering college women through their interests, so our readers are sure to enjoy all the new content we’ll be putting out!

HC: Are there any big changes you plan on implementing or things you hope to improve as EIC?

LD: We already have a ton of ideas for next year! All I can say right now is that we really want to focus on the community aspect of HCFSU, as well as putting a special focus on social media. In today’s world, social media is everything and we want to reach more readers through our social channels. We also want to make working for Her Campus look fun, because it truly is! 

Courtesy: Liz Dorwart

HC: What are your plans after graduation? This is a loaded question, so it’s cool if you don’t have an answer.

LD: Well obviously who really knows where I’ll end up after graduation. My dream job has always been to be a journalist and I was lucky enough to start college with a solid idea of what I wanted to do. As time has gone on though, I’m still interested in journalism but I’ve learned there is so much out there that I can do with writing and editing. I’m now interested in working in political communications on a campaign or maybe working for a nonprofit. This summer, I’ll be interning for the Federal Home Loan Bank in Des Moines, Iowa, in their marketing communications department. I hope this internship will help me figure out exactly what I’m interested and where I would like to go after I graduate.

HC: Are there any fun facts about yourself that you’d like to share with readers?

LD: I interned with the Iowa Department of Human Rights as its communications intern, which is where I learned how important it really is to understand your audience as you’re writing for them. Knowing this has helped me not only there but also here at HCFSU, as well, because it’s so important to know the demographic we’d like to reach. Her Campus is great because it’s for college women by college women. No one understands an undergrad quite like another undergrad.

Second year student at FSU studying Editing, Writing and Media.
Her Campus at Florida State University.