I think that I can speak for all of us when I say that COVID-19 has drastically changed how we live our lives and the way we go about our days now. Since the virus has spread differently and hit some places harder than others, I wanted to see and compare differences between the ways people, college students, in particular, have adapted to the coronavirus. For this, I reached out to one of my good friends Vanessa Rivera who recently moved to New York. She is 21 and currently attending University in New York. I wanted to ask her a few questions about how COVID-19 has affected her life considering New York was deemed as the epicenter for the virus for a large portion of the time.

Her Campus (HC): How long have you been living in New York? 

Vanessa Rivera (VR):  I’ve been living in Queens for a year and a half.

HC: Where do you attend school, What are you studying, and what made you want to study this? 

VR: I am currently at the School of Visual Arts (SVA). I am a design major, and I have always been super creative and loved art as a kid, which followed me into adulthood. My dad is also an artist and I believe I picked up that trait from him.

woman painting pattern on white wall with yellow paint
Pixaby/Pexels

HC: How is it living in New York amid the pandemic? 

VR: Not as bad as one would think. Everyone here is super respectful with keeping a distance and wearing their masks. Sometimes I feel a bit caged in, just because the places we can go to are limited.

HC: How has your life changed when it comes to school with everything going on?

VR: Experiencing my first year of college online during a pandemic has been an experience I won’t forget. Although school has been stressful at times, it has thankfully kept my mind busy from the chaos of the pandemic.

HC: You lived in Florida your whole life and then recently moved to New York. Which of both do you prefer? What are some differences have you seen between both states? –

VR: I prefer New York because of its diversity and culture. There’s also always something to do! Pre-pandemic living in New York is super fast-paced, while Florida is a lot easier going.

HC: Where do you see yourself in 10 years? Do you think you’ll still be living in New York?

VR: In 10 years I see myself happy, working within the creative field whether it be graphic design or creative directing. I could see myself potentially living in New York, but I would be open-minded to other places.

HC: How do you think the future of New York City looks once the pandemic is over?

VR: I know it’s going to be tough financially for everyone everywhere, so I don’t see the transition being an easy one. I do have a lot of hope and faith that all the damage this pandemic has caused will eventually be restored. New York especially has been resilient in times of crisis so I do believe the future will be bright here.

Although things are still weird and have definitely gone on longer than we all had anticipated, just make sure you remember to stay safe out there and don’t forget to wash your hands!

Want to see more HCFSU? Be sure to like us on Facebook and follow us on InstagramTwitterTikTokYoutube and Pinterest!

Alexia is double-majoring at Florida State University in Sociology and Media/Communications Studies. She holds a strong love for reading, writing, music and enjoys going to the beach back at home in Fort Lauderdale. When she’s not busy catching up with work or school, you can usually catch her hanging out with her puppy, Ginger or at Happy Hour on Friday with her besties.
Her Campus at Florida State University.