Little Things You Can Do On Earth Day To Make a Big Impact

As Earth Day this year is closely approaching, it’s more important than ever to be mindful of your actions towards the environment. Next Thursday, April 22, is Earth Day! Here are a few simple tips you can start today to help you on your personal journey of giving back to the environment.

1. Start A Separate Bin for Recyclables

Many people don’t know that there are recycling drop-off locations locally in Tallahassee. Some people’s apartments and housing have their own recycling system, but even if yours doesn’t, you can still recycle in Tallahassee. Here’s a quick guide to what you can and cannot recycle.

Do Recycle:

Paper & Cardboard:

Corrugated cardboard, magazines, office paper, paperboard, paper cardboard dairy and juice cartons, mail and packaging

Glass:

Clear, brown and amber glass

Metal:

Aluminum, steel and aerosol cans

Plastic:

Water and soda bottles, empty milk and juice containers, detergent bottles, household cleaners

Don’t Recycle:

Any paper, cardboard, plastic, glass or metal with food waste, plastic bags

glass bottles in Reusable bag
Photo by Polina Tankilevitch from Pexels

Here’s also a list of drop-off locations in Tallahassee to see which is closest to you.

Publicly Accessible Recycling Multi-Centers

Location Description – Address Area

Renaissance Building – 435 N. Macomb St. Central

St. John’s Episcopal Bookstore  – 131 N. Calhoun St. Central

Four Points by Sheraton – 316 W Tennessee St. Central

Miccosukee Rural Waste Service Center – 13051 Miccosukee Rd. Northeast

Black Dog Café –  229 Lake Ella Dr. Northwest

Woodville Rural Waste Service Center – 549 Henry Jones Rd. South

Hilaman Golf Course – 2737 Blair Stone Rd. Southeast

Leon County Solid Waste Management Facility – 7550 Apalachee Pkwy. Southeast

Ft. Braden Rural Waste Service Center – 2485 E. Joe Thomas Rd. Southwest

Tallahassee Solid Waste Services Office – 2727 Municipal Way West

2. Conserve Water and Electricity

This seems like a small course of action, but just cutting down a little bit every day will go a long way. The less water you use, the less runoff and wastewater that will eventually end up in the ocean.

3. Shop Sensibly

Avoid using plastic bags if you can. I like to keep my reusable shopping bag in my car, so I can have it whenever I go out. Consider buying less plastic if you are able. Look at the products you’re buying and try shopping from environmentally-friendly brands. In terms of clothes, there is so much waste from fashion being thrown out. If you can, try purchasing from companies that use sustainable practices or consider thrifting or second-hand shopping, you might be surprised what steals you can find that will make you and your wallet feel good.

4. Keep Learning and Educate Others

Keep an open mind and always research! Remember, depending on what town you’re in, some recycling practices are different and vary from place to place. A quick Google search to your county website will tell you what you can do! More importantly, friendly conversations can go a long way in promoting healthy practices. My roommate has been the most significant influence on what I know about helping the environment. It’s a chance for you to encourage people around you to be more environmentally conscious and a chance to learn from other people too.

Want to see more HCFSU? Be sure to like us on Facebook and follow us on Instagram, Twitter, TikTok, Youtube and Pinterest!

Elena is a junior at Florida State University pursuing a Bachelor of Fine Arts in Digital Media Production and a minor in Film Studies. She spends her free time "studying" movies and television and laughing at Tik Tok's at 3 AM. Currently, Elena hopes to do another Disney College Program after graduating and aspires to become a screenwriter and eventual producer.
Her Campus at Florida State University.