The Little Black Dress: A Comprehensive Guide by Taylor Swift

While Taylor Swift can’t seem to get her boyfriend situation figured out, there’s one thing Taylor Swift always gets right: the Little Black Dress.

Whether you consider yourself part of the Swift fan club or not, Taylor Swift has never faltered in presenting a sleek take on what Lauren Conrad and fashion magazines galore call a “closet staple”.

Swift’s expansive wardrobe consists of quirky cat shoes, a bevy of retro sunglasses and enough J Brand shorts to make your head spin. While her style has transformed through various phases, from cowboy boots and knee-length sundresses to high-waisted shorts and sparkly oxfords, her take on the LBD remains timeless.

I present to you a quick synopsis of Taylor Swift’s black dress collection; a collection so stylish and diverse it’ll make you wish you owned as many as this country-turned-pop superstar. By scrolling through, I hope you’ll gather a couple useful style tips from the master herself. Enjoy, and don’t forget the red lipstick!

Two-Piece Sets

Swift in NYC, October 13, 2016. Arriving at a Kings of Leon concert because why not?

Courtesy: tswiftdaily.tumblr.com

If you’ll notice, this is actually a shirt and skirt combo, but you wouldn’t know at first glance! This outfit is a great take on the LBD staple, because there are so many versions you can throw together. A black t-shirt and pencil skirt are the foregrounds for greatness, am I right? Here, Taylor adds some edginess in the form of slashes in the shoulder material. It’s easy to do, and even if you don’t have a shirt exactly like this, there are a variety of other styles you can choose from. Get a formfitting tank top and tuck it into the skirt instead. Nobody will know the difference, and everyone will be shocked when you reveal it’s actually a two-piece outfit instead. It’s the equivalent of finding pockets in your favorite shift dress: Innovative, unnecessarily placed and a joy to discover.

Below, you can easily see the t-shirt and skirt combination. It’s simple, versatile and easily manageable for everyone.

Courtesy: tswfitdaily.tumblr.com

Throw a jacket over the outfit to add some variety. Grab a friend (Above: Swift pictured with Lorde) and coordinate matching all-black ensembles. You’ll be a hit at the next party. Plus, if the party gets boring, the all-black look can swiftly transform you from decadent dresser to shifty spy.

Classic Ribbed Mini-dress

Courtesy: tswiftdaily.tumblr.com

You can find it at American Apparel or Forever 21. It’s a constant. Wearing a black tank dress, both form fitting and flattering, Taylor is seen exiting dinner with friends. She incorporates a tan trench coat into the look, bringing it from comfy classic to business casual. There are many options for this look. I found a couple from Forever 21, check them out below!

Scoop Neck LBD

Y-Neck LBD

Fun Prints

Finally, to throw it back a little: January, 2012: As the Speak Now times were ending and Red era was starting, Taylor wore a simple black dress on a casual walk around London. This outfit was notable not only for its flattering silhouette and sleek accessories, but because the dress featured cats. Take a look below and marvel in the great classic leather jacket and loafer combo elevated to another quirky level by the fun cat print.

Courtesy: Pinterest​

A little black dress can be dressed up or down with a simple addition. Swift adds dimension to her looks, creating a personalized feeling to every outfit. It’s relatively easy to do yourself, and can be updated from classic staple to a trendy outfit that turns heads in an instant. Add a glittery necklace or a swipe of red lipstick and BAM! You’re good to go for the day. Little black dresses really never go out of style. *cue Style, multi-platinum hit by Swift herself. Play the tune as you get ready for your next night out!

Hi, I'm Amanda. I'm a Creative Writing major with an affinity for take-your-breath-away-sentences. I also like solid 80s rock jams and blogging about my feelings. I'm constantly hopeful I can one day escape to the moon. For now, I'm enjoying attending a wonderfully diverse school and take pride in my beautiful group of friends.
Her Campus at Florida State University.