Style > Beauty

Skincare Ingredients I Love in the Wintertime

I don’t know about you, but there’s something about the wintertime that makes my skin actively try to run away from my body. This is usually the time when I start to experience dull, dry, flaky skin that can lead to a lot of discomfort and irritation. If I’m not actively bathing in hydration, my skin peels, which leads to itchiness and redness. All of this is to say that my summertime skincare routine just doesn’t cut it this time of year. The change in humidity and temperature, as well as the use of indoor heating, requires that some changes to my products are simply a necessity.

There are so many products that advertise as being hydrating or having some kind of skincare benefits, so a lot of the time, I prefer to look at ingredient lists. Here are some ingredients I love to see and incorporate into my skincare when winter rolls around because I find that they really do bring back some life and moisture into my skin barrier that the air is actively trying to suck out.

ceramides

Starting with a great addition to any moisturizer, we have ceramides. Ceramides create a barrier that helps to lock the water in. By doing so, they help to keep my skin nice and moisturized, which helps with irritation as well. CeraVe’s Micellar Cleansing Water with Niacinamide & Ceramides and their Moisturizing Cream are both great options, as well as Glow Recipe’s Avocado Soothing Skin Barrier Serum with Ceramides.

Squalane

I feel like in the winter, I don’t just struggle with dryness, but also an overall dull and lifeless look to my skin. I look for ingredients that I think will help bring back the bounce and plumpness to my skin and give it a glass-like appearance. Squalane is amazing for bringing back the vibrance in my skin that I lose as the colder months come around. Squalane is a lipid, and it mimics my body’s natural sebum, which is how it is able to increase the hydration and moisture in my skin. Biossance’s Squalane + Copper Peptide Rapid Plumping Serum, the Kiehl’s Ultra facial Overnight Rehydrating Male with 10.5% Squalane, and Good Molecules’ Squalane Oil are all amazing hydrating products.

Glycerin

The next thing I really love is glycerin, and I honestly think this is such a slept-on ingredient. Glycerin is a humectant that helps my skin retain moisture and keep it hydrated. As someone who has dry patches during the winter, this is an amazing product because it also works to soften and smooth my skin.

Hyaluronic acid

I also really like hyaluronic acid, another humectant, because, unlike glycerin (which is more of a slow-working ingredient for long-term hydration), hyaluronic acid works quickly to quench thirsty skin and provides fast relief. In my experience, I find that I get the best results and benefits from hyaluronic acid when I use a product that is centered around the ingredient. I really enjoy Paula’s Choice’s Hyaluronic Acid Booster with Ceramides, Kiehl’s’ Vital Skin-Strengthening Hyaluronic Acid Super Serum, and Glow Recipe’s Plum Plump Hyaluronic Cream.

While the view outside my window looks dead and depressing, I prefer my skin not to, so these powerhouse ingredients and products will for sure be added to my routine in preparation for the dark and gloomy season ahead.

Want to see more HCFSU? Be sure to like us on Facebook and follow us on Instagram, Twitter, TikTok, and Pinterest!

Simona Giverts is a staff writer for the Florida State University (FSU) Her Campus Team. As a staff writer, she writes articles every other week covering topics across campus, culture, and personal. Simona is currently majoring in Psychology with a minor in Criminology. She loves incorporating her educational background to better digest and dissect current pop culture news. When she isn't writing, you can find her watching old TV shows and movies, reading fantasy novels, or baking something sweet.