Lana Del Rey is an American singer, songwriter, director, and (often overlooked) fashion icon. Many people, like me, greatly admire her artistry and unique aesthetic. Common motifs associated with Del Rey include the color red, heart-shaped sunglasses, cherries, pearls, and many aspects of vintage Americana. This aesthetic has been sung about in her music and has translated into her personal style. However, as her art has evolved over time with Del Rey singing about different subject matters and utilizing different genres, so has her style.

While she’s strayed away from the classic Lana Del Rey aesthetic of mimicking an old Hollywood superstar, her looks have remained stellar throughout the years. Her public appearances include red carpet premieres, concert performances, and street style. These appearances have all been well documented. Because there are so many pictures of Del Rey on the internet, it was hard for me to narrow down my favorite looks into a list, but here it is. Though not in order, here are, in my opinion, some of the most iconic looks from my favorite artist.

Lana in Paris, France (2012)

Starting off simple, but effective. While strolling around Paris in September 2012, Del Rey sported a cornflower blue Ralph Lauren sweater and dark blue jeans. The reason why this outfit stands out to me so much is because of how it balances simplicity and elegance. Del Rey wears a natural makeup look and wears her brunette hair down, adding to the comfort of this look. To me, this is a perfect autumn look that I want to replicate myself this season. The vibrant color of this sweater also stands out to me, making this a memorable look.

lana at Cannes Film Festival (2012)

While it’s extremely hard for me to pick a favorite look of Del Rey’s, this one has always been special to me. I can call it an unofficial favorite. I’m in love with this Alberta Ferretti dress, which features a gorgeous tulle and unique neckline. Del Rey pairs this dress with a glistening diamond necklace and her iconic long, curly, ginger locks. Many fans consider this to be one of her most iconic looks. Personally, I think it made history because of her hairstyle. This ginger color is my favorite hair color that she’s had, and I think it’s accentuated even more because of the black dress. Overall, this look is unforgettable.

lana for Galore Magazine (2014)

There are so many little details about this look that make it iconic. Firstly, the fur coat is just stunning. Its deep blue color is complimented by the tan fur that surrounds it. Meanwhile, Del Rey’s signature red nails are a great contrast, accentuating the rings she wears on her hands. Her makeup consists of winged eyeliner and matte rose lipstick. The varying colors in this look work so well together, coming together as one unified piece of art. This is a luxurious look that she pulls off easily.

lana for Billboard Magazine (2015)

Another fantastic look is from this Billboard shoot. This black dress, lined with a furry off-the-shoulder neckline, is in typical Lana Del Rey fashion. She chooses to swap her classic red nails out for dusty pink nails in a feminine almond shape. The ruby heart pendant she wears around her neck nicely compliments the large emerald ring on her hand, showing off her finest gemstones. I think Del Rey’s classic brunette hair works well with this outfit, creating a simple but fancy vibe.

lana at the Billboard Power 100 Celebration (2016)

Del Rey wore this look to a celebration in Beverly Hills. Though she usually opts for dresses to red carpets, this combination of a white dress shirt with olive khakis takes business casual to the next level. The bow detail on the pants is a cute touch, and she looks sophisticated and professional. I especially like how she chose to straighten her copper-colored hair, which adds to her sleek presentation.

lana at Lollapalooza France (2017)

This look is special, notably due to Del Rey’s beehive hairstyle. This hairstyle pops out, though her outfit is also unique. This V-neck dress is reminiscent of a coastal look, with white floral designs on top of a light blue background. This specific shade of blue seems to be one of the most common colors she wears, and it works every time. I also love the fun red heels that she pairs with this outfit, as she reminds us that every aspect of her looks is important.

lana for Harper’s Bazaar Cover (2023)

This recently praised cover shoot is from Harper’s Bazaar. While several looks were shown in this issue, I’d like to focus on the cover picture. I think Del Rey looks gorgeous in this white Prada dress. She mirrors the luxury of this magazine with this flowy dress that is fit for a queen. The lace material that she holds in her arms brings us back to what makes Lana Del Rey herself: feminine, soft details. She adds a mustard yellow pair of flats to the look, displaying yet another instance of contrast that really works.

Those were some of my favorite looks of all time from no other than Lana Del Rey. Wearing chic, beautiful, yet comfortable outfits is something that this artist is skilled at. Many of the clothes she wears in her appearances are her own, showcasing her love for fashion. I have no doubts that she’ll be known as an icon for years to come, especially for her music, but also for her fashion. 

Want to see more HCFSU? Be sure to like us on Facebook and follow us on Instagram, Twitter, TikTok, and Pinterest!

Hi! I'm Gabby, a junior at FSU studying clinical psychology and English. I'm passionate about mental health, wellness, fashion, food, and music, to name a few things.