Wellness

Kombucha Curious? Here’s My Personal Guide to Trying Kombucha

Kombucha is a magical healing beverage dating back centuries. But what even is it? You might have seen it with trendy hipsters or lined in the grocery store creating a rainbow of colors. Luckily for you, I’m a self-pronounced kombucha lover and am here to tell you a bit about what it is and why you should consider giving it a try!

To start with some history about kombucha, it dates back to around 220 B.C. and became popularized in Eastern cultures because of its healing properties (hence its name, “the drink of immortality”). It’s made from sweetened tea fermented with a yeast and bacteria culture, which sounds quite scary when hearing it for the first time, to be honest. The fermentation process is done with a “SCOBY” (no, not Scooby Doo). “SCOBY” stands for “symbiotic culture of bacteria and yeast.” It looks like a big gelatin layer on top of the kombucha and helps the natural carbonation of the drink, making it extra delicious! It’s also called “kombucha mother.” Don’t be scared! Just give it a gentle shake and you won’t even know it was there.

There are so many potential health benefits that come with drinking kombucha that I almost don’t know where to start. Many experts and evidence claim that this magical drink can provide a better-balanced gut, improve digestion, decrease inflammation, and more. It’s made primarily with tea, which provides many antioxidants that may help your liver. We all know we can give back to our liver health, after all. I can say that almost all of us who live or go to school in Tallahassee have experienced the “Tally Plague.” So great news! Kombucha has acetic acid, which is found in vinegar and can kill harmful microorganisms (but not the growth of the drink fermentation’s beneficial bacteria).

As I mentioned earlier, there’s a rainbow of colors in the kombucha aisles of grocery stores. So what brand could you start with? After trying what feels like hundreds of brands of kombucha, I’ve found one that has stuck out to me and earned my loyalty: GT’s. It’s based in Los Angeles, California, the hometown of its founder, GT Dave. Dave started brewing kombucha straight out of his family’s kitchen after finding out his mother had been diagnosed with breast cancer. It’s a wholesome story that I think about often.

Not only do I love the story behind GT’s, but I also enjoy the broad flavor range they offer, which makes it almost impossible for me to choose what to try next. Since I have been drinking kombucha for many years, I’ve found my favorite flavors that I recommend: lemon berry, peach, and the flavor that took my kombucha virginity, “trilogy.”

With everything mentioned about this mysterious bubble drink, I recommend you give it a try. After years of drinking it, I’ve found it to be a great substitute for other drinks such as soda or sugar-filled juice. The kombucha community is growing day by day, as it has migrated its way to Western culture and many find it healing not just for the body but also for the soul.

Want to see more HCFSU? Be sure to like us on Facebook and follow us on Instagram, Twitter, TikTok, and Pinterest!

Hey guys! My name is Lauren and I am a Junior here at FSU. I am on the Pre-Med track but love to write in my free time! I write on a plethora of topics so stay tuned. :) I hope you enjoy my articles with wishes they bring a little joy into your day! Happy reading, stay kind! <3