How To Celebrate Valentine’s Day in a Long-Distance Relationship

I fell in love with someone who lives on the opposite coast. I know I’m not the only college girlie in a long-distance relationship, so this is for all of us. Some holidays just have to be spent apart like the holiday of love, Valentine’s Day. This is a guide for all my long-distance girlies who can’t be with their partner on Feb. 14 and need to find creative ways to keep the romance alive.

Before I give you some ideas on how to celebrate Valentine’s Day apart from your partner, two things are important. One, you need to plan ahead to make this day special. Two, video calling is your best friend. If you’re in a long-distance relationship, chances are you already know this, but this is essentially in every idea listed below.

Movie Date

This is my personal favorite! There are apps like Teleparty where you can share a screen and watch the same movie and even chat along. Although this is a great app for text chatting, I like to actually hear my partner and talk to them. We use Discord so that we can still talk through the movie and hear each other laugh. This can be a perfect little Valentine’s date. Cozying up together watching a romance movie or just a movie you know you will both laugh at and enjoy!

Cooking Date

Even though you might not be in the same kitchen, you can still cook together! Find a meal or recipe you can both cook and buy the necessary ingredients beforehand. You can even dress up as if your partner is there to make it feel even more like Valentine’s Day. Then, on a video call, work together to make the dish. It can be fun trying to figure out all the stuff required to make the dish. Then, you can sit down with each other and eat the meal you made! It makes a dinner date much more intimate.

Love Letters

This doesn’t require too much money (besides maybe the stamp), and it’s all from the heart. We have gone too digital in this day and age, so let’s go back to the pen on paper. Add some cute little hearts and lipstick marks and you have yourself an adorable little love letter. Just make sure to send it in time for Valentine’s Day!

Online Games

Okay, I don’t want this phrase to confuse you… when I say online games, I don’t mean video games. I mean online puzzle games. My boyfriend and I make sure to do the New York Times Wordle and Connections every day; it’s a sure way of keeping the communication alive. If you want a more special time together, there are also online escape rooms (like this one) that take up way more time than those games. Share your screen and solve it together.

Love Package

A little love package can go a long way too. It doesn’t have to be too full. It can have a love letter, their favorite candy, a flower (because everyone deserves flowers), an activity they like to do, and a cute stuffed animal. If it’s last minute, you can send them things from DoorDash like candies, food, flowers, and dessert. After all, you can basically send anything through DoorDash.

Mix n’ Match

None of these ideas have to be standalone. You can mix up a cooking date and end it with a movie night and still send them a love letter. At the end of the day, it’s about the thought and effort that’s put into it that will make Valentine’s special. You can personalize and fit these date ideas into what suits your relationship best.

Being apart from each other doesn’t mean that this day can’t be special.

Want to see more HCFSU? Be sure to like us on Facebook and follow us on Instagram, Twitter, TikTok, and Pinterest!

This is my first year writing with Her Campus and am so excited! I'm a junior at FSU and a double major in Political Science and English: Editing, Writing & Media. In my free time, I love reading books (shocker right!), spending time with my family, and watching and re-watching countless rom-coms. If you want me to talk endlessly for hours ask me about my opinion on any romance book trope.