How to Adjust to FSU Campus Life After Studying Abroad

“Study abroad,” they said. “It’ll be fun!” they said. Spoiler alert, “they” were right. Studying abroad is truly one of the greatest experiences that universities offer. As a Florida State student, this reality is all too prevalent, especially with International Programs literally parading around and reminding everyone all the time. Studying abroad is the definition of living the dream. However, there’s one thing they don’t tell you: how to come back to reality after living an adventure every day. It can be hard to wake back up to reality after returning to campus.

Today, I’m going to give you my three biggest tips to help you find your groove back on campus after your time abroad is over. As someone who spent her freshman year in Europe, I understand it’s not an easy transition. Coming to Tallahassee felt like starting at ground zero, and truthfully, it was. There’s good news though. If you were brave enough to thrive in a different country, you’re more than capable of finding success back home, so let’s dive in!

gET INVOLVED ON CAMPUS

Now, I know what you’re thinking. I couldn’t have said something more painfully obvious if I tried. But at the end of the day, becoming a part of the community is the best way to fall in love with it. Luckily for students, colleges are a constant hub of activity and there really is a group for everyone.

When it comes to clubs, the sky is the limit. FSU has everything from Surf Club to Comic Book Club to my personal favorite, Young Life. Honestly, you can string any random group of words together, and it’ll probably be a club here. There are also professional organizations, like Ad Club, that not only help you meet people in your major but also score huge resume points. It’s what I like to call a win-win scenario, ladies and gentlemen.

When it comes to joining a group, the hardest part is taking your first steps into the room. And let’s be real, you can do that in your sleep. You did step onto a plane to live in another country, after all. In comparison, this is absolutely nothing. 

Beyond clubs, there’s always something to do on campus. Between sports games, circus shows, and other events, your calendar can be booked to the max. My greatest tip for FSU students is to hit up Club Downunder, also known as the best organization (period) and your new BFF. They’re housed in the Student Union and put on free events for students multiple times a week. These include everything from concerts to silent discos, and they’re always a slay.

STAY ACTIVE

One of my favorite things about being abroad is that Europe is so walkable. You can get your steps in every day without even trying. This was great for me as someone who hates exercising. If I was distracting myself with pretty sights, then it didn’t count in my mind. However, it made me realize that even a small amount of activity is so beneficial to my overall health and well-being.

I knew that I needed to preserve space to exercise when I got back to campus, which brings us to my second tip: find some sort of physical activity that you enjoy. This is integral to keeping your mind and body happy, and it also helps shake off some of the restlessness that comes when you’re not going to new places daily. There are so many opportunities through free classes offered at the gym to club teams and more. Yoga Club has become my go-to, but I encourage you to go out and find what works best for you.

KEEP EXPLORING

Finally, I encourage you to keep traveling. Just because your time abroad is over doesn’t mean you have to sit still in one place. You’re an expert now, so you might as well keep using those skills. There’s so much to explore here in America and even around your campus.

For my FSU readers, I just want to remind you, if you haven’t yet noticed, Tallahassee is so gorgeous! It’s surrounded by state parks, historical landmarks, and more. It’s all waiting on your doorstep to be explored. My personal bucket list item for this semester is a trip to the beautiful Providence Canyon in Southern Georgia. Only a hop, skip, and two-hour car ride away, this park is a stunning escape from the mundanity of college life.

That rounds out my three big tips for adjusting back to campus this semester. But since I’m so generous, I’ll give you one final piece of advice. Be honest with yourself about the expectations you set. You can’t compare your college campus experiences with your life studying abroad because they’re two totally different things. Believe me, I understand how hard it is to come back after “living the dream,” but you got this. From one travel girl to another, don’t let the end of one adventure take away from the one you’re living right now. The opportunity is all around you; just reach out and take it.

Want to see more HCFSU? Be sure to like us on Facebook and follow us on Instagram, Twitter, TikTok, and Pinterest!

Emma Sofianos is a column writer at the Her Campus Chapter in Tallahassee, Florida. She is currently a junior at Florida State University, double majoring in English-Editing, Writing, & Media, and Communications-Advertising. She writes about a range of topics, including culture and lifestyle. Follow her for the latest on movies, books, and music news or for college life and travel tips. In her spare time, Emma is often playing her current favorite song on repeat or on the lookout for the next big movie. She's always planning her next travel adventure and her ideal day is spent in a cafe with a book, her besties, and a chai latte.