Like many other girls in this technology-filled generation, I fell in love with a gamer boy. First things first, I am unashamed of loving a gamer boy, but I do feel a little ashamed that I don’t play video games (unless playing Just Dance or Mario Kart on the Wii counts). I feel like many girlfriends want to know why their boyfriends spend hours playing these video games instead of giving them attention. So, after a conversation where I asked what non-gamer girlfriends should know about their boyfriends, here is what I learned. This is the Girlfriend’s Guide to a Gamer Boyfriend.

Know What Type of Games They Play

Apparently, there are different types of video games. I just assumed everybody played some version of Fortnite, but it’s safe to say, that it’s not everybody’s cup of tea. Here are some of the types of games that are out there.

• Role-playing games (RPG): This game is when you follow a quest (often fantasy-based) and make your own decisions along the way. It often requires puzzles and sometimes fighting in battles to win. Your choices affect the outcome. It’s often debated on what actually qualifies as an RPG, like Pokémon and Dungeons & Dragons.
  • First-person shooter (FPS): This is what I assumed everybody played: some version of a weapon-based combat battle in first-person perspective. This includes Call of Duty, Valorant, and Fortnite in its First-Person Mode. Other battle royale (last man standing) games sometimes have this feature.
  • Story-based games: This is a mixture of role-playing and fighting, but this type of game follows a more specific plot. Think The Last of Us. I mean, that video game had such a good plot that it became an award-winning TV show.
  • Fighting games: These are your classic two-player, one-on-one fighting games. These include Super Smash Bros., and Mortal Kombat.
  • Sports games: I feel like this type is self-explanatory. It’s sports! Soccer! Football! On a screen! Why play real football when you can pretend? It’s the FIFA and Madden games.
  • Sandbox: This type of game allows players to build the life they want and often requires a mechanical element. These are your Minecraft and Animal Crossing-type games.

There are more types of video games, but these are popular enough that they somehow make it on my TikTok For You Page. Every game genre has its own language and its own community. Assuming that every guy plays the same type of video game is like assuming that every girl watches the same type of movies; it’s not true and puts people in a box.

THEY CAN’T PAUSE!

There have been many times with my brothers when it was time to eat dinner or they had to put a dish away where they would angrily yell back, “Give me a second! I’m playing a match!” The response that always came back was, “Pause it right now and eat dinner!” They would be so insistent on finishing the game that it would infuriate the rest of the family. If they simply explained that pausing the game is like pausing a phone call, we would have understood. It turns out that you can’t really pause a video game, just like you can’t pause real life. So, next time you want your boyfriend to put down the controller and give you attention, maybe add a time cushion of five minutes before you unleash your anger on him.

They’re Just Like Us

I’ve been someone who has judged people who play video games many times before. I always felt like it was a waste of time, but this is their way of escaping reality. I’ve been guilty of reading tons of romance books and watching many young-adult shows where I can pretend that I have superpowers. What’s so different about actually playing as a character that has superpowers? If anything, that sounds more fun because you can actually make your own choices instead of yelling at a writer for a choice your favorite character made.

Last Thing

I know my boyfriend would never choose a video game over me if it came down to it. His hobby of playing video games is just like my hobbies of watching my favorite movie, reading my romance books, or crocheting a blanket I’ve been dying to make. It’s a hobby that will never come between us because we understand that having fun without each other is just as important as having fun with each other.

Playing video games shouldn’t be more important to your boyfriend than you are. Learning about each other’s interests should be a two-way street. The only games your boyfriend should be playing should be the ones on the screen, not your heart.

Want to see more HCFSU? Be sure to like us on Facebook and follow us on Instagram, Twitter, TikTok, and Pinterest!

This is my first year writing with Her Campus and am so excited! I'm a junior at FSU and a double major in Political Science and English: Editing, Writing & Media. In my free time, I love reading books (shocker right!), spending time with my family, and watching and re-watching countless rom-coms. If you want me to talk endlessly for hours ask me about my opinion on any romance book trope.