Style

5 Must-Have Makeup Products to Pack in Your Beach Bag This Spring Break

As we experience a new age of influencers, shopping platforms, and viral beauty trends, I can’t help but wonder when we’ll stop coming in with the new and out with the old. What about in with the favorites and have them here to stay?

As the daily activity of checking the UV index for the perfect weather rises amongst us, it’s convenient to know what to keep stocked in our bags this spring break. I’ve curated a fan-favorite list (friendly for my no-makeup and full-face makeup people) of products I simply cannot live without. This holy grail list is my it combo to achieve that sunkissed-skin Insta feed. 

This past summer term at FSU, I challenged myself to see what I really thought would make it to a deserted island with me. All of these products were game changers for my routine; going to class and having the constant desire to shower in between every single class because of a massive heatwave was no joke. These products made it out alive and onto my list of ways to look clean, fresh, and most importantly, put together! 

1. Summer Fridays Shadedrops Spf 30 Mineral Milk Sunscreen ($36) 

At the top of the pyramid, and one of the winners of the Elle UK Future of Beauty Awards and Nylon Magazine Best Skincare Splurges of 2023, is the No. 1 thing to protect your skin against too much sun: Shadedrops Mineral Milk Sunscreen by Summer Fridays! This product is so lightweight and doesn’t leave a white cast on my skin, which is so hard to find in a sunscreen. Actual perfection. The name is completely on point; it feels like a glazed donut without the grease. This sunscreen is great to layer with the Lumi Glotion by L’Oréal, too! 

2. L’Oréal Paris True Match Lumi Glotion Natural Glow Enhancer ($13)

Next up, we have the L’Oréal Lumi Glotion. We can think of this creamy moisturizer as a hot, sunny Miami day in a bottle. This was introduced to me over the summer by my roommate, and I couldn’t have been more obsessed with how she looked so bronzed and moisturized. I’m so glad she didn’t gatekeep this one! It’s perfect to layer on top of sunscreen or mix in with some foundation. It’s super lightweight and comes in four shades: fair, light, medium, and deep. Because it’s not full coverage, you can play around with how intense you want the shade to be so happy mixing!  

3. Benetint Liquid Lip Blush & Cheek Tint ($24)

Going back to the OGs of makeup, Benefit Cosmetics has a two-in-one beauty product that I’ve repurchased three times and counting. This long-wearing and transfer-proof liquid lip and cheek tint comes in three shades of pink-red tones. This is honestly one of those products that last a lifetime, but if you’re like me and use it daily, you probably won’t mind repurchasing it. It’s that good. I use it for sunscreen-only days, full face of makeup days, and even when I just want some color on my lips under my Aquaphor! 

4. Thrive Causemetics Liquid Lash™ Extensions Mascara ($25)

This formula is life-changing for people who hate losing eyelashes to mascaras, lash curlers, or makeup removers overall! Thrive Causemetics is cruelty-free and is sold only on their official website. The Liquid Lash Extensions Mascara is powered by Flake-Free Tubing Technology™ and Orchid Stem Cell Complex™, which support longer and healthier lashes. This all makes it so that you can easily remove the product with warm water or a washcloth.

It’s smear-free, smudge fear, panda eye-free, you name it — literally zero mess. I haven’t lost a single eyelash to this mascara, and that’s so relieving at the end of a long day. This product comes in six fabulous shades including rich black, brown black, deep blue, purple, green, and pink. 

5. Sun Bum Vegan Spf 15 Browning Lotion ($15)

Ending this mini-series of must-have products with an oldie but a goodie, the Sun Bum tanning cream. This Sun Bum product is Hawaii 104 Reef Act Compliant (octinoxate & oxybenzone-free), making everything that much better and safer. This world-known surfer and beach-loved brand has a browning lotion that contains moisturizing protection to get the perfect sun-kissed tan, but also offers protection with the help of SPF 15. Not to mention, the amazing smell of this products makes me feel like I’m on an island vacation no matter where I use it. 

I’ll be keeping these products close to my heart… and my beach bag. Happy shopping!

Want to see more HCFSU? Be sure to like us on Facebook and follow us on Instagram, Twitter, TikTok, and Pinterest! 

Juliana Castillo is a staff writer at the Her Campus Chapter at Florida State University. She loves writing about relatable topics, and how-to guides as a college student navigating her way around college, and lifestyle. Beyond her position at Her Campus FSU, Juliana is pursuing a major in Editing, Writing, and Media. She is a member of two pre-law student organizations at her university and oversees the digital content creation for one registered student organization! In her free time, Juliana loves to drink matcha, work out, organize her Pinterest boards, and watch romantic comedies with her friends at her apartment. She loves to explore trending podcasts and learn about important news.