5 Things To Do in Tampa This Spring Break, From a Local

Spring break is just around the corner, and as a Tampa local, I’m starting to think about what I want to do! Normally, I stay home, on my phone, and hardly leave the house. But this spring break, I want to go out and do more around town. Since Tampa is a big city that is growing more every year, there’s plenty to offer to everyone’s interests.  

Busch Gardens and Adventure Island  

If you’re feeling adventurous this spring break, Busch Gardens and Adventure Island are the places for you! Busch Gardens has over 20 rides and attractions, and just across the street is Adventure Island, with over 10 waterslides and lazy rivers. These two theme parks are perfect for thrill-seeking people. With high-speed rollercoasters, waterslides that reach over 70 feet, and an overall great environment, it’s perfect for friends and family.

Now, for spring break, Busch Gardens has a deal for $99.99 for a single-day ticket compared to their usual $139.99 ticket. A single-day ticket for Adventure Island is only $47.99 compared to their usual $89.99. These deals don’t come often, so take advantage of them while you can! 

Downtown Tampa

Downtown Tampa is packed with incredible restaurants, busy nightlife, and live entertainment. Sparkman Wharf is one of the latest additions to downtown, where cargo shipping containers were converted into restaurants for locals to enjoy. I’ve been here before, and this is such a cool concept! Every cargo has varying menus like seafood, Vietnamese dishes, pizza, Mexican street food, and burgers. If you want something sweet, they have gelato too! There is also a trolley that can take you from downtown straight to Ybor City, which offers even more restaurants, bars, and museums for you to visit.  

Riverwalk

The Riverwalk is a long trail along the Hillsborough River that’s perfect for a morning run or simply a casual walk with friends. This 2.6-mile trail overlooks beautiful scenes of downtown, Armature Works, and the University of Tampa. On the Riverwalk, you can experience live music and boat tours passing by. Sometimes, they’ll have food trucks along the trail!  

Armature Works 

Armature Works has been around for a little over five years now. It’s become a favorite amongst other Tampa Bay locals for its family-friendly environment, a multitude of restaurants, bars, and cafés, and events for all ages. One upcoming event is a scenic yoga session in front of the Riverwalk on March 12 from 9 a.m. to 10 a.m. — and it’s free!  

Tampa Beaches

Yes, Tampa has beaches that aren’t too far and just as beautiful as beaches like St. Petersburg and Clearwater! Honeymoon Island and Dunedin Causeway are the perfect spots to get away from the busy beaches of Clearwater and enjoy the peace that these lesser-known spots can bring you. A little under a 30-minute drive from Citrus Park to Dunedin Causeway, these beaches are great for watching the sunset, sitting in your hammock while reading your book, swimming in the water, and getting the perfect tan! 

Hyde Park Village 

Are you in the mood to shop ‘til you drop? Hyde Park is a modern community where everything like clothing stores, pet shops, restaurants, beauty stores, and monthly markets are all within walking distance of one another. There’s even a CinéBistro where you’re able to have a “dinner and a movie” experience. You could even watch the new Dune: Part 2 movie here; I know I will! 

Hillsborough River State Park  

If you want to have a calm but interactive experience during your spring break, head to Hillsborough River State Park. This seven-mile-long trail is perfect for a scenic walk, but that’s not all that’s provided to you. Hillsborough River State Park offers hiking trails, fishing, camping (or glamping), horseback riding, canoeing, paddling, picnics, and so much more. Pay it a visit to connect to nature and make some lifelong memories with friends and family! 

I’ve lived in Tampa my entire life, but I never really appreciated this amazing city and all it has to offer. With this being my last spring break before I graduate, I want to make the most of it. I may not be able to experience everything I want to do this week, but I know I’ll make amazing memories along the way.  

Want to see more HCFSU? Be sure to like us on Facebook and follow us on Instagram, Twitter, TikTok, and Pinterest! 

Miranda Daubar is a Creative Writing major minoring in history at Florida State University. She is hoping to become an author one day. Currently she is a staff writer for Her Campus.