4 Reasons Why Getting A Cat In College Was the Best Decision I’ve Made

Coming to college for the first time can be an isolating experience for so many people. I remember feeling so alone the first week after my parents dropped me off, and adjusting to a life away from home definitely had challenges. I sat in my dorm room thinking about what could make me feel better and it came to me: a cat. That was when I decided that I was going to get a cat as soon as I moved out of the dorms. Now, after almost a year of having one, I can confidently say it was one of the best decisions I’ve made in my time at college. So, here are four reasons why getting a cat has made my college experience better and why you could consider getting one too!

1. THEY ARE GREAT COMPANIONS

Everyone’s heard that “dogs are a man’s best friend,” but I would argue that cats are a woman’s best friend! They will stick by your side when you really need them but can also entertain themselves when you need a break. Although I love dogs, they can be very needy and constantly beg for your attention. Cats have a way of sometimes staying around you and showing affection, and other times keeping to themselves.

They are overall great companions, and you can often find them snuggling with you in your bed, sitting next to you while you watch your favorite show, or sitting in your lap while you study.

2. THEY ARE EASY TO TAKE CARE OF

Unlike an animal such as a dog, cats are pretty easy to care for. You just have to clean their litter box, feed them, give them water, and play with them. They do the rest themselves! They even clean themselves! 

Cats are known to not require too much maintenance and pretty much take of themselves. However, even though they’re relatively easy to take care of, it’s important to give them the best care possible. This includes taking them to the vet, giving them any medicine they need, and making sure to brush or groom them when necessary. 

3. THEY CAN BE A GREAT BREAK FROM STUDYING

I know when I’m studying or writing a paper, I need to take breaks every hour. I never want to go on my phone and scroll through Instagram or TikTok during these breaks because I know I’ll get distracted and won’t get back to studying. So, I’ve started playing with my cat as a break from studying, and it’s changed my studying game. Although cats are often said to be mean and grumpy, they’re actually very funny animals. They’ll play with all kinds of toys, sprint around your room, and make lots of funny noises. Playing with a cat or even just watching them play with themselves can be a great way to destress between study sessions. 

4. tHEY BOOST YOUR MOOD

College can be stressful and overwhelming, and balancing different responsibilities such as school, extracurriculars, work, and a social life can be challenging. But I’m telling you, having a cat makes it so much better!

Having a cat that likes to snuggle and sit on your lap is always a plus, and I feel so much happier when I know I have a furry companion that’s always by my side. Even if you don’t have a cat that loves to snuggle, they can still boost your mood. Watching them play or just knowing that they’re there can make it feel a lot less lonely in this often isolating time. 

There are a lot of misconceptions about cats that have been spread. Many people say that they are mean or don’t want to be around you. In my experience, they are loving companions with a lot of personality! Getting a cat was one of the best decisions I’ve made during my college experience, and I highly recommend that you consider getting one too!

Want to see more HCFSU? Be sure to like us on Facebook and follow us on Instagram, TwitterTikTok, and Pinterest!

Hi, my name is Kaitlyn and I am a sophomore majoring in Creating Writing with a minor in Film Studies! This is my first semester writing for HerCampus! In my free time, I enjoy, reading, watching movies, going to get coffee with friends, and hanging out with my cat!