“Life is Beautiful”: Diem Brown’s Courage Against Cancer

Diem Brown isn’t just another reality TV star. She was an advocate, a wonderful role model and a strong woman.

(source: US Magazine)

I obviously didn’t know Diem in person, but I loved watching the Real World/Road Rules Challenges on MTV. Diem was one of my favorite personalities on the show (not to mention that she was a FSU alumni). She was bright, bubbly, and had an incredibly positive outlook on life – a nice change of pace from the typical reality star stumbling drunk around the pool, trying to fight everyone in their path. It’s also worth adding that CT, Diem’s boyfriend, was such an incredible example of what love is all about.

(source: MTV)

After starring on the show and learning that she had cancer, she went on to be an advocate for the disease by opening up about her long, strenuous journey with it. She was honest and straightforward, discussing everything from mood swings to chemotherapy to her hope for having children someday.  Before her passing, it was her third time fighting cancer. I stumbled across this video of her speaking with cancer survivors: http://www.mtv.com/videos/exclusive-online-special-surviving-cancer-with-diem-brown/1694011/playlist.jhtml. While she was fighting to help herself, she was always ready to help others. It was clear to see that Diem Brown had every intention of fighting through the disease one last time to live the perfect life: “I’m going to have a family and get married and the whole American, 2½ kids, white-picket-fence dream. It’s something that’s really important to me, because it means a long-term future.”

I truly wish she could have been able to live that dream.

The death of Diem Brown is incredibly saddening, but it can also teach us the power of positivity. Having cancer can cause people to lose their sense of self, and while she may have had serious health problems, she never let that define who she is as a person. It’s obvious to see through her friend’s tweets and other statements that she was a bright light in many people’s lives.

When situations get tough, it may seem like there’s not much hope left. But like Diem, we should always remember to keep our heads up above water. Even as the cancer spread to other parts of her body, she continued to say that she expected to fight through it. Not many people can say they would feel the same if they found themselves in the same situation –her mindset was honorable above anything else. She was a fighter down to the core, and passed away with incredible dignity.

I’m glad that her loved ones could surround her. I will remember Diem Brown as the fun, sweet cast member on my favorite MTV show, but I will also remember her words when I find myself going through stressful situations. I can only wish that all of us can find light in dark times, just like she did.

“No matter what it is, you’re going to have the bad days, but if you have hope throughout, you won, no matter what the results. Life is so beautiful.”

Rest in Peace, Diem Brown – your Seminole family loves you.

Haleigh is a 22 year old college student who is slowly but surely getting closer and closer to graduating from the beautiful Florida State University (in May, to be exact). With a love for puppies that's almost too much to handle at times and a slight obsession with sushi, Haleigh is passionate about all things cute and fun, with a hint of sass. Go Noles!
Her Campus at Florida State University.