Life after Winston: New Team, Same Spirit

We’re back at it. No longer undefeated, but still as confident and ready as ever.

From November 24, 2012 until January 1, 2015, we had forgotten what it felt like to lose. Win after win, we conquered every team in our path – until the unthinkable happened. Hard feelings accompanied this unexpected loss, and after losing quite a few of our prominent players to the NFL, it seemed that everything was up in the air. However, after Florida State made their final decision to recruit Everett Golson as the new quarterback, things slowly fell back into place. Golson, a senior and former quarter back for Notre Dame, chose to play for Florida State after receiving offers from Florida, South Carolina and Georgia just to name a few. Why?  

Regardless of the fact that we are 39-3 for the past three seasons, commonly featured on national television and Jimbo Fisher’s reputation for creating NFL quarterbacks, the primary reason that Golson gave for his decision was that nothing was promised to him. There were no definites and no claims of instant fame; this attracted Golson.  He worked his way up, he proved himself through his competitiveness and skill and he is now representing the 12th ranked team in the NCAA College Football Power Rankings.

Aside from Golson, the focus for this season has shifted to both new and old promising players. Now that Rashad Greene has moved on to play for the Jacksonville Jaguars, it seems that Travis Rudolph is in line for the spot of #1 receiver, making improvements in blocking from last season. Likewise, Dalvin Cook earned an honorable mention from legendary running back Warrick Dunn. The former running back told the Orlando Sentinel that he “salutes” Cook’s start, specifically for his performance against USF in which he earned the second highest single-game rushing total in the history of FSU. Needless to say, we salute you too, Dalvin.

While these first two games have been relatively predictable wins, the weeks to come will be a little bit trickier. With archrival teams such as Miami, Clemson and Florida in the near future, FSU players and fans are anxiously awaiting those challenges. Meanwhile, the festivities of game days accompanying football season are in full swing as we are reminded again why it is that Seminoles love football season so much.

For guys and girls both, dressing up for game days has become something of a tradition that everyone looks forward to.  Fans adorned in their favorite game day dresses, polos or jerseys flock to the stadium in waves of garnet and gold, chopping and chanting in unison.

Courtesy: Instagram

Regardless of the friend group that you resonate with on any other day, on game days everyone is collectively a Seminole fan. That feeling of cohesiveness, pride and spirit continue to bring us together by providing a common ground that is hard to find elsewhere. We recognize that there is much more to FSU football season than being number one, but we are certainly up for the challenge ahead. 

Courtesy: Instagram

Hope is a Junior double majoring in Media Communication Studies and Sociology. She enjoys listening to music, traveling, and spending time by the pool/beach.
Her Campus at Florida State University.